Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX 3.8 Engine Mounts

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Its only around 1.5 2hours job. When doing passenger side u will need to unbolt the A/C compressor and move it forward don't undo the lines.
What a super human worker you must be, how many times have you done this job?
Ive done it at least 10 times it takes me at least 3 hours on a hoist prick of a job every time

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
From what I can workout seems like a common issue for an engine mount.
If you can fit your finger between the sump and the cross-member your engine mounts are probably ok.
The gap closes to about 5mm when they collapse.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What a super human worker you must be, how many times have you done this job?
Ive done it at least 10 times it takes me at least 3 hours on a hoist prick of a job every time
No hoist, trolley jack under sump with block of wood but first put the car on stands and remove wheels, undo the 2 bottom bolt on each mount jack it up, remove the 3-4 bolts on A/C compressor and slide it forward, undo the bracket to the engine take them out, undo the 2 nuts from the plate remove mount then put everything back on in reverse.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
What Trevor loves Holden said.
Did my series one VX a while ago. Engine was resting on the cross member when I reversed up my driveway, so it vibrated lots. I didn't have to remove the A/C mounts etc? Just removed one end of the strut brace and went for it. Cant remember how, but I didn't touch the A/C compressor and I didn't have to undo any pipes, cables etc. But I seem to remember I had to raise the engine on a jack, and the gearbox was hard against the floor. Now I think of it, I had to lift one side of the engine at a time, to allow the new mount to fit. If you lift the engine straight up, the mounts won go back in properly. If you do one side at a time, as you lower the engine the mounts "rotate" back in the right position. Removing wheels does ring a bell too. But I was (then) a Japanese Computer Engineer so I guess I must have "special hands".
Oh, and it was the first and only time I have done it. I do remember working out some "tricks" though. I'd have to do it again to remember them!

Last edited:

luke10050

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I did mine on my VX recently. Everyone bitches about the passenger side but it was easy. Don't listen to people who tell you to bend shifters and ****. Just get your jack, a plank of wood and a sheet of rubber and Jack the motor up on it after loosening the 4 bolts at the bottom of the mounts unbolt your AC compressor (trust me it's easy) and remove the bracket off the block.

I had real trouble with the drivers side. The transmission cooler lines get in the way and you have to reach your hands down past the exhaust manifold. I ended up having to pull the knock sensor shield off to get the mount off and it was a **** to get back on

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you lift the engine straight up, the mounts won go back in properly.
That's the issue I faced but to over come that all I did is use rope to pull it into its home, lower the jack till it just resting on the frame then pull.
Like I said by undoing the mounting bolts ( Only ) on the compressor and sliding it forward will work in your favour.
Remove the bracket from engine don't try to do it the hard way by leaving them on and sliding spanners in between.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
When putting it back down leave them a tad loose so you can move them around to line up better into place.

Shitty job like engine mounts I'll do my own cars BUT won't do other people's cars even when they offer a bribe haha