Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX 3.8 Engine Mounts

This_Guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX 3.8
Hi guys, I have a vibration coming through my steering wheel. From what I can workout seems like a common issue for an engine mount. Before I go ahead changing them is this a common problem? I found a cheap set of replacements here https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/ZPN-02241.action? Because they are only $37.55 for the pair I might bight a bullet and just do it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Usually not really a symptom for an engine mount. Typically it's warped brake rotors if it happens when you brake, radius rod/z-bar bushes are super common, possibly play in the tie rod ends, unbalanced wheel or the balancing weight has fallen off one of your front wheels. Would probably start looking at those instead of jumping straight to doing the engine mounts (bit of a PITA job).

This_Guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX 3.8
Usually not really a symptom for an engine mount. Typically it's warped brake rotors if it happens when you brake, radius rod/z-bar bushes are super common, possibly play in the tie rod ends, unbalanced wheel or the balancing weight has fallen off one of your front wheels. Would probably start looking at those instead of jumping straight to doing the engine mounts (bit of a PITA job).

Hello, I would agree but sorry it seems I left an important bit of information out. It is only happening when sitting at idle.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have someone in the car and rev it a little in gear with handbrake and foot on the brake it will lift if they are turn, do it in 1st and reverse. It might be the exhaust mounts or transmission saddle which should be changed also when doing the engine mounts.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Is the engine running smooth? Worn plugs, vacuum leak, blocked fuel system can cause rough idle that shaking the engine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can see if they are stuffed, as they collapse fairly well. Like RJK said prick of a job. I paid someone else to replace mine.

This_Guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX 3.8
Thanks for all the suggestions I will jump under and have a look tonight if I can see how worn they are. I will also grab someone and get them to rev the engine while I am there. Thanks again guys.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its only around 1.5 2hours job. When doing passenger side u will need to unbolt the A/C compressor and move it forward don't undo the lines.
Pfffft, took my mech around 5hrs. You must be good if you can replace them in 1.5hrs.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Pfffft, took my mech around 5hrs. You must be good if you can replace them in 1.5hrs.
5hr you were taking for a ride my friend, my mates VT was easy to do on a 3.8, the hardest bit was getting the mounts back in the chassis holes, but It came to me I got out my rope and tied it off on one side and yanked it into the holes as me mate lowed the jack.