Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX 5.7L P0327 knock sensor - Help :(

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
I had same problem when i got the engine washed. But I live here in Middle East and it is very hot here. You can fry an egg on the road. So after two weeks after the wash, the water dried out by itself due to the extreme dryness and heat and the code went away. If you want to save money, you can dry that sensor out and it will work again. No need to unscrew the sensor, just take a compressed air hose and blow and dry that hole out. Edit: Also unplug the electric connector and compressed air the wire end and the senor end too.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The harness/connectors/wiring seemed ok.

Probably going to cop some flack for this but, I didn't buy anything new, I took it off more of a inspection to see if anything needed to be replaced and just general condition of everything.

My knock sensor wasn't rusted out like many you see on forums/pics, it was soaked in water, so i used some paper towel to soak up most of the water to prevent it from going down into the motor/sump, took out the knock sensor, cleaned it up (had mad like residue on it), blew it dry all over with the air compressor, then cleaned up the exposed parts of the motor. Lots of crud/carbon/bugs. Helps if you have two people, as I had dad with the vacuum while i was scraping the carbon off. Could easily just plug up the holes and do it on your own though.

If the error comes up again, I will replace everything, Knock sensors, wiring loom and gaskets. Havn't got a price from holden for gaskets or parts, but will be using eBay as my ref point unless somebody knows other shops to get holden parts from.
FELPRO INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET SET CHEV HOLDEN LS1 5.7L FEMS92438 | eBay

The photo makes the motor look a little stained, but its just the flash from the shitty camera on my phone, come up nice.
Also cleaned my throttle body, I was a little hesitant to clean the butterfly, as on my other car I cleaned it and the idle went up. That said, cleaned it anyway as this throttle body has a hole in the butterfly anyway, cleaned up great. Took the throttle position sensor out as it was filled with crud, sprayed away with throttle body cleaner.

Just make sure you have those fuel line disconnect tools to take out the main fuel line to the injector rail.

All up removing took me approx 1 hour (taking my time, smoko's)
Cleaning up and putting it back together probably about 2-3 hours (cleaning, looking up torque specs, correct tighting sequence, smoko's, checking if it was ok to clean the throttle body, and taking my time).

Should be driving it this week, so hoping the knock sensor error doesn't come up anymore...if so I will be wrapped!

Took it for a little drive down the rode just quickly, seemed to have better throttle response, idled better, sounded better then it ever has! Though it could all be placebo...:surprise:

Time will tell, Any questions about it all, ask away. Happy to help!

Attachments

• IMAG0940.jpg
    IMAG0940.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 2,912

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I had same problem when i got the engine washed. But I live here in Middle East and it is very hot here. You can fry an egg on the road. So after two weeks after the wash, the water dried out by itself due to the extreme dryness and heat and the code went away. If you want to save money, you can dry that sensor out and it will work again. No need to unscrew the sensor, just take a compressed air hose and blow and dry that hole out.

I didn't use the air compressor in the hole itself, just only on the knock sensor. Hoping it will do the trick, in hindsight I should have used the compressor in the hole where the knock sensor goes as well.
I was amazed there was so much water in there, even after driving the car for about a week!

Thanks alot for all your help too umair, really appreciate it!

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Bit of a update, the light came on once again....just bit the bullet and got a new sensor from holden, $90 later and the intake gaskets felpro branded from eBay for $50

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Bit of a update, the light came on once again....just bit the bullet and got a new sensor from holden, $90 later and the intake gaskets felpro branded from eBay for $50

So they're $90ea from holden? (did you just replace both for peace of mind?) and do you need to replace the gaskets when you take the intake off..?

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm being a tight ass and only doing the faulty one. The other one was dry so can't see it failing. Only the front was going off.
You can Reuse the intake gaskets no problems, mine where just shagged.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
I'm being a tight ass and only doing the faulty one. The other one was dry so can't see it failing. Only the front was going off.
You can Reuse the intake gaskets no problems, mine where just shagged.

If yours where shagged I can imagine that MINE will be shagged, I mean, we are having the exact same problem afterall.. haha