Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Acclaim

G

Gesz

G'Day All,

Need your help and feedback on buying a VX commodore, 2001 model. I'm a Ford man but really like the new commodores since the VT came out. I'm looking at buying a VX Acclaim. Is it a good car, any problems to look for in it. Is this a good first commodore the get as my first Holden????

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I want to put a full kit and some 18's on it as I reakon they look bloody good when there done up.

Cheers

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I'll imagine I never saw the bit about the ford

Anyway if I was to buy a Commodore now I would most certainly be looking at either a VS or VX. The VT is a nice car but I being a new shape too many problems came out of it much like when the VN first came out.

In my opinion the VX would have to be one of the most refined cars Holden has bought out to date. I was talking to a friend of mines father who said he would put the VX he drives on par with some of the Merc's out there, I don't know whether he was joking or not but he seemed to be keeping a very straight face while telling me. He is very picky when it comes to cars and has managed to clock up about 60000km without a single problem not even anything minor.

Are you looking at the V6 or the V8? If a V8 try and get one which was built in mid 2001 which is where they made some changes to the Gen III for issues such as piston slap and excessive oil use.

Take a look at Phoenix Mechanical's web site who has a few problems for the VX listed which might help you out when looking.

G

Gesz

Looking at a six. I like the accliam over the exec as it has those extra bits like, cruise, full electric windows, and four air bags.

P

Phil

Hi Guys,

The Acclaim is definatly a good starting point. Not only do you get the cruise, aircon, driver, passenger and side airbags and power windows as standard you also get Traction control and ABS breaks, a must in my opinion.

As will all cars they all have their fault listings, some have good results and others poor. For a VX berlina you can expect to pay around 8 to 10K extra for one with low klms. Most of the V6 range commodores have less problems than the V8 range as there are less stresses on the car.(this is just a generalisation and results may vary).

The things I have found to look for with the VT II, VX and VX II range are how well the auto shifts (Up and Down), clunking comming from the diff when auto shift down to a stop or slow speed. Driveline vibration on accelleration and decelleration. If the car is fitted with a towbar check the rear wheels for excessive inside tyre wear, I think alot of those issues were addressed in the VX II model and have improved rear end tyre wear.

Most of if not all the above issues can be rectified and with a VX mybe still covered under new car warrenty. The auto shift should be ok but the revised shift data for the PCM can help, holden service will tell you what program code your using and weather there is an updated one, rear end diff clunk was most common in the LSD diffs and a diff chatter kit was used to rectify some of the issues the chatter kit comprises of special new diff seals and a different grade of diff oil, the diff has some backlash as holden call it to prevent CV joints from breaking.
Some of the driveline vibrations have been caused by Centre Bearing failing, alot of Holden dealers wont pick this up as a cause because they only conduct a site inspection, its not until you remove it that you can tell. The kit for the Centre Bearing is about $35 + fitting and can make a difference. The part that houses the bearing is made of rubber, which breaks down over time depending on your location.
And the inside tyre wear can be rectified by a camber/caster kit. Most of the new model commodores has the IRS upgraded to rectify the issue.

Hope I have helped

Feel free to contact me for further info. If I dont know it I have a contact at holden who provides me with some mechanical support from time to time.

Phil

Shiney

Reaction score
GO A BERLINA!!!!!!!!!!

JUST OWN ONE TO LOVE ONE

L

long haul

Or just wait 6 months and buy a low k BA falcon LOL. Sorry.

G

Gesz

Thanks guys for your help.

I got a vx acclaim 2001 in the deep blue colour. Drives like a dream and am very happy with it. Im glad i got this one for my first commodore. Any ideas on engine mods to get a few extra kw's out of it. Have ordered a clubsport bodykit for it and am looking at wheels at the moment. Probably go to an 18 inch rim. How much will this effect the ride???

Looking at lowering it about a couple of inches so it sits right with the bodykit on it. Nothing worse than seeing aftermarket kits on cars and they are at full ride height and they look so dodgey. I dont want to lose too much of the comfort factor when i lower it, any ideas on that????

Also looking at putting an interior kit in at a later stage. Dribbled on enough, any idea's on getting a few extra kilowatts would definatley be appreciated though.

Cheers!!

Oh, will do the exhaust probably 2 1/2 inch, as everyone will say that. What can I do in the actual engine to tinker it???

new chips, air filters, anything else - how effective are these??

Cheers again!!

GO YOU GOOD THING