Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx adjusting the tappets is it possible

L

Leo.Bullterrier

I'm having our Holden Dealer replace the rear auto transmission seal and the tappet cover seals in our VX acclaim for $360.00 and am woundering can the tappets be ajusted in these modern engines or are they self adjusting. What else could be done while the covers are off that would save having the covers removed again latter.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Hydraulic cam followers are self adjusting. No provision is provided nor is it necessary to adjust. They are a 'throw away' item, like everything else these days!

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
What Pablo said, what makes you think you might need to adjust the rockers?
Or are you just wondering?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
$360, damn, they saw you coming. Local transmission placed replaced my rear seal for about $70, and the rocker cover seals that 5 minutes to install.

L

Leo.Bullterrier

Since I don't do the servicing myself I was just wondering what else I could ask to have done, when I had my baby in recently having the stop light switch replaced they said the tramsmission seal and the tappet seals need doing. I was quoted 1.5 hours to replace the tappet cover seals and I even looked in the manual and yes there is quite a lot to remove before one can even attempt to remove the covers. I'm more than happy with 360 and there work and service is near perfect, I even asked Ultra Tune and was quoted the same.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
1.5hours to replace a rocker cover seals? youve been had. If youve got a socket set it's only unbolt, pull old seal off put new on and rebolt, nothing to it. No there's nothing else that should need doing while the rocker covers are off on a vx.