Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Airbag & Engine fault lights randomly appear.

Fuzzypumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
Hi All,

In the past month my Engine fault light & Airbag fault light have been coming on simultaneously on random occasions.
I could be driving for 20 minutes and suddenly both lights come on with alarm beeps , stay on for 30secs then both turn off.
This mostly happens once, maybe twice over a 35min drive which is mostly straight freeway driving.
I have checked the ECU and no airbag fault codes a logged.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sounds like developing ABS module fault.

Fuzzypumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
ABS fault?

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question....
What does the ABS module have to do with an Airbag fault light?
And when state ABS module, do you mean the module under the bonnet with all the hydrolic lines
feeding it?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Airbag error codes are not logged in the ECU, they are logged in the SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) located on the floor between the front seats. You need a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool to display/reset airbag codes.

ABS faults, as posted by mpower, were related to VT Commodores and don't seem to really apply to your case (excerpt from VT Common Faults reproduced below).

"Instrument warning lamps (ABS) - The ABS module consists of 2 main parts. A hydraulic unit and an electrical unit. The most common failure seen with the module is when the ABS Electronic module fails. This often results in a myriad of dash lights being illuminated, not just the ABS light. When the ABS Electronic module fails, it can also interrupt scanning procedures for the ABS, BCM (Body Control Module) and PCM (Powertrain Control Module).
Another cause can be water entry into the engine harness connection area, under the bonnet, against the right strut tower. Apparently, water gets onto and through the 'horse-shoe' shaped plastic wiring support, which eventually tracks down to the ABS connector, causing all sorts of warning lamp issues. Foam fillers and sealants are used to help reduce the amount of water that can get through to these areas."

Fuzzypumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
Ok then, this may be more relevant.
This VX has traction control and had LPG installed a few years ago. I think the installer had to
break the wiring loom at the ABS wiring module loom under bonnet to disable the traction control when on LPG.
I will check the wiring and plug tomorrow.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
So it does sound like the ABS module plug after all.

Intermittent Engine, ABS, Trac Ctrl, Airbag and Oil lights can all indicate either a fault with the module OR the harness that connects to the ABS module.

Sounds like your harness has been modified to disable TRAC CTRL (common mod for LPG installs) I'd definitely start there.

Fuzzypumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
Well this morning I went out to work on the car and did my pre check just to see if the same fault is present
before I start fault finding and symptoms have changed, just to confuse me.

It seems now the airbag warning light comes on 10 sec after I start the car and stays on permanently, no other warning lights present.

Anyway I checked the condition of the ABS harness and plug and it look good , no corrosion in plug or terminals, the modified wiring is
good and all connected reliably.

Soooooo, are we still thinking its the actual ABS module at fault?

Or Steering clock spring?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
time for a scan tool i think (not the paper clip, a proper tool)
if no codes then would suggest abs module
but now seems more like an srs fault