Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Auto no power down low

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
I have noticed that when parking my boat the car has no power
i face down a steep hill with the boat on (700kg), and reverse up the hill and down my driveway
i need to flatten it just the get up the hill and the car stinks once i have parked
the auto fluid is new, car has plenty of power under normal conditions

is this just a part of a normal V6 commodore or is my auto on the way out

also note that i can't spin the wheels holding the brake on at all, not that i try too often

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Are you disabling the trailer brakes when you reverse up the hill?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
No trailer brakes and the trailer and boat all up are about 500kg. Going forward it's fine just reverse

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Most reverse gears have no torque convertor to "cushion" the power . The is no gradual take up involved like forward gears, reverse gears from memory are a 1:1 ratio also you are dragging boat + trailer + car weight up hill backwards .
Mine will drive up our yard fine but reversing up will cause it to lose traction

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
I think you might be very confused on how an automatic gearbox works, and perhaps also physics, billythakid. :)

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
I think you might be very confused on how an automatic gearbox works, and perhaps also physics, billythakid. :)
Really ? I never seen an auto stall convertor that works in reverse gear the same as forward gears , also if the car is dragging the weight uphill backwards then a thing called gravity comes into effect with boat trying to push the car back down the hill

A auto in reverse gear will still roll forward downhill with no power applied .

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Number one from the list of 4L60e common problems might apply to your situation:

1. Slow, slipping or no reverse: “lo-reverse” clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the checkball from its cage in the case in the rear of the trans may help (must remove valve body), or adding a high-viscosity additive such as Lucas Transmission additive or other seal restorer product. May also have worn boost valve (can replace in the pan).

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Really ? I never seen an auto stall convertor that works in reverse gear the same as forward gears , also if the car is dragging the weight uphill backwards then a thing called gravity comes into effect with boat trying to push the car back down the hill

A auto in reverse gear will still roll forward downhill with no power applied .

The torque converter is between the engine and the transmission. So it is working no matter what gear you are in. The engine only spins in one direction, so by extension, does the torque converter. The reverse gearing is applied in the transmission.