Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX automatic rear housing squeak.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Hi all, hope everybody is keeping busy over the long weekend!

I replaced the tail shaft center bearing this arvo in my VX wagon (making sure everything went back in the same way, including the alignment of the splines to keep the balance in check).
After I finished I took it for a test drive and there is a loud squeaking.
Put the car back on stands and pin pointed the noise is from where the tail shaft enters the rear housing of the transmission. I can also hear it from rotating the tail shaft by hand when the car is in neutral.

I also replaced the auto transmission mount. Is there supposed to me a spacer for it? I can't find a definitive answer.
My guess is the previous owner made a spacer instead of replacing the worn mount.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The spline you have there seems to be inserted a bit more than it should be.
Does it make the same noise if it is out maybe 15mm or more because I feel the spline is maybe running up against the metal of the seal,
or, the inner brass bush.
Check the seal and bush and see if the spline is moving around any.
The bush and or seal may need replacing, or, when doing the centre bearing you have managed to lengthen the tailshaft somehow.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
I've tried spinning it with the yoke nearly all the way out of the transmission and it makes the same noise. I don't really want to take the yoke out and get covered in transmission fluid but it sounds like I might have to so I can check/replace the bush and seal.
Heading to the wreckers now and I'll check the tailshaft length to make sure it is correct and I haven't made it too long (not hitting it hard enough yesterday).

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I've tried spinning it with the yoke nearly all the way out of the transmission and it makes the same noise. I don't really want to take the yoke out and get covered in transmission fluid but it sounds like I might have to so I can check/replace the bush and seal.
Heading to the wreckers now and I'll check the tailshaft length to make sure it is correct and I haven't made it too long (not hitting it hard enough yesterday).
If you have tried it most of the way out and still squeaking then I would have to thing bush and or seal is shot or loose.
If you can get the rear of the car up on ramps you may not lose fluid.
Failing that a catch tray to catch the fluid.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Problem solved.
I didn't beat the tailshaft well enough and it was 5mm too long when I was putting it back together, so my guess is the yoke was rubbing on something in the rear housing.
Put it back together and it still whined until I gave it a boot up the street a few times. No more noise!
I was going to replace the seal but didn't bother, it doesn't leak but I have a new one for when I feel like replacing it.