Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx battery light and cutting out

Sbarazi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s
I recently was driving my 2002 vx and it randomly just stopped after a bit of driving. Didn’t start after that, RACQ guy came and done a battery test and made sure the connectors were sweet, He couldn’t find the issues so it got towed, I started it today and it ran for about 30 minutes and then cut out again I let it cool down for around 2 hours and it started and then died around the same time.

The battery light shows up on dash and I tested for error codes and it flashes 1, 3 then 7, 2 not 100% sure how this code works but people say crank angle sensor for this kind of issue any ideas?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like your alternator may not be charging the battery properly. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage on the battery with the engine running - should be around 14 volts. The codes you are getting don't appear to be VX V6 codes, but they shouldn't be causing the problems you are experiencing either:

DTC 13 V6 PCM - RIGHT HAND (RH) NO OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
DTC 72 V6 PCM - VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL INTERMITTENT

As a first step you could try changing the voltage regulator on the alternator, and if that doesn't work replace the alternator. However, I would have expected the RACQ guy to have identified if the alternator wasn't charging the battery. Not sure how competent they are these days.

Sbarazi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s

Sounds like your alternator may not be charging the battery properly. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage on the battery with the engine running - should be around 14 volts. The codes you are getting don't appear to be VX V6 codes, but they shouldn't be causing the problems you are experiencing either:

DTC 13 V6 PCM - RIGHT HAND (RH) NO OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
DTC 72 V6 PCM - VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL INTERMITTENT

As a first step you could try changing the voltage regulator on the alternator, and if that doesn't work replace the alternator. However, I would have expected the RACQ guy to have identified if the alternator wasn't charging the battery. Not sure how

Hey mate thanks for the help means a lot, I just tested with a multimeter battery sits at about 12.5*v while off and when on it sits about 14v but some fluctuating. I ran the car for about 20 mins still got battery light gave it revs for a bit no dramas it takes about 30 mins to 45 mins to cut out but it’s kinda random, If it was the alternator surely it wouldn’t be starting up once it gets cool after dying?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Interesting. The only times I've had a similar experience, with starting up once cool, was with a faulty/worn starter motor in my V8 Calais. However, having a V6 your experience is probably more consistent with a failing crank angle sensor. Forum members who are V6 experts will be able to give you better answers.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
The way its stopping makes me think it could be something to do with the fuel pump....maybe pull the fuel filter line connectors and see if any black rubber is present in the fuel when you empty the filter. If its clean its probably ok.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Crank angle sensor maybe

My VX SS did the same as yours

Replaced the CAS and all was good

Does the tachometer move when your cranking it?