Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Berlina climate control lights not working

Darcy2000VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina wagon 3.8 litre V6 ecotec
Hey guys I’ve noticed after installing my single din head unit with the plug and play loom from supercheap auto

When turning on my head lights only half of the right side of my lights on the climate control are working but the buttons and air con still work fine.

how can I fix this?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
it'll be a halogen bulb blown, you have to pull the dash surround off to get to them.
prepare yourself they aren't cheap when you can find them.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I replaced the Climate Control Display with LED's, and using the existing globe/lamp holders in my Wife's 1999 VT2 Calais, and my 2002 VX2 Berlina
I little bit of ingenuity, and a lot of patients, but it worked,
sold both cars now, but for the time we had then, never failed.
The Dealer wanted $28ea, yes, that what they would of cost then, for 1 globe and there is 4 in each Climate display, that was a short and sweet visit to Holden Dealer.
Total cost for the LED parts I think was approx. $20 [for both cars]

Alternatively, I think I have seen you can buy them online.

Last edited:

Darcy2000VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
I replaced the Climate Control Display with LED's, and using the existing globe/lamp holders in my Wife 1999 VT Calais, and my 2002 VX Berlina
I little bit of enginuity, but worked, and a lot of patients,
but worked perfectly, but sold both cars now, but for the time we had then, never failed.
The Dealer wanted $28ea, yes, that what they would of cost then, for 1 globe and there is 4 in each Climate display, that was a short and sweet visit to Holden Dealer.
Total cost for the LED parts I think was approx. $20 [for both cars]

Alternatively, I think I seen you can buy them online.

Sounds good to me
Am I just expecting to by led and fit them in the same socket or to re wire a new one for the leds? I’ve tried to search online for videos or some sort of step by step to do an LED conversion and couldn’t find one

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds good to me
Am I just expecting to by led and fit them in the same socket or to re wire a new one for the leds? I’ve tried to search online for videos or some sort of step by step to do an LED conversion and couldn’t find one

Here you go !

This how I did it,

1. Head to you local electronics shop [I went to Jaycar]
  2. Purchase some 5mm green LED's, and 1.5K - 5 watt resistors, [image 1 & 3]
  3. Carefully remove the rim in the bottom of the LED, [I did this with a battery drill and a small flat file]
  4. Get hold of some "very fine" wet & dry sand paper, [or a partners nail file]
  5. This is to remove the shiny surface of the LED, so it acts like diffuser to spread the light, [image 2]
  6. Hold the LED by the wires between the your fingers, and rub the nail file around it, [image 2] or
  7. Place the back of the LED carefully in the battery drill [approx. 1mm], and use the wet and dry to remove the shiny area of the LED sticking out, is should look like is roughed up, [image 2]
  8. Remove the old filament [incandescent] globe from the Climate display module
  9. Unwind the wire wrapped around the base and remove the globe,
  10. Since you have removed the rim on the bottom of the LED, make sure you can fit them in the socket, if not, get a 5mm drill bit and ream it out by hand [not with a drill], then they should fit the socket
  11. This is where it gets a bit fiddly,
  12. Being the 5mm fits the socket, slide the LED terminals through the bottom of the socket,
  13. Wrap the longer wire [+ anode] around the base of the socket, and trim it off,
  14. Then squeeze it a little with a pair of plyers, so its flat,
  15. Now the other wire is sticking out the base,
  16. With the resistor, on the other side of the base and LED that is wrapped around, Insert the resistor from the back of the socket, so the body of the resistor is wresting against the back of base,
  17. And then wrap it around the same as you did for the LED,
  18. Now you will have the short leg of the LED [ - cathode] and the other end of the resistor wire sticking out,
  19. Wrap the top of the resistor wire around the leg of the LED, and dab a bit of solder on it
  20. Then trim it with side cutters, so its not sticking out to far,
  21. Place some small heat shrink on the solder join and resistor,
  22. Its now ready to install,
  23. Being LEDs are Polarity consciousness,
  24. Insert them, then connect the Climate Module to the loom,
  25. Switch the ignition on, and they should work,
  26. If they don't, remove them, and turn them around 180deg and re-insert then.
Using a 1.5Kohn resistor, they should NEVER burn out, and will also DIM with the dimmer switch, BUT, they wont DIM all the way down because the low current draw.
Alternatively, you could use 2k resistors for it to be a bit dimmer.
You will note them being "VERY GREEN", better than the filament globes with the green condom on them,
And now you probably wont need to do them for a long time.

Attachments

• VX Climate Control LED.jpg
    VX Climate Control LED.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 202
  • VX Climate Control LED Difussed.jpg
    VX Climate Control LED Difussed.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 237
  • VX Climate Control LED Parts.jpg
    VX Climate Control LED Parts.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When you say half out is that the screen or buttons as well? if buttons u need to pull it apart and solder to the board after removing the blown ones, the screen ones either T4 or T5 but can remember which, replaced my brother-in-law's long time ago fitted blue ones in the screen and dash lights not the red ones or green blinkers though , I no he had the 3 screens which are T4.

Darcy2000VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
When you say half out is that the screen or buttons as well? if buttons u need to pull it apart and solder to the board after removing the blown ones, the screen ones either T4 or T5 but can remember which, replaced my brother-in-law's long time ago fitted blue ones in the screen and dash lights not the red ones or green blinkers though , I no he had the 3 screens which are T4.
Sorry for late reply had to get my phone fixed but it’s the buttons

Attachments

• A9F70420-600F-45A2-A26C-3B8819A5C6C0.jpeg
    A9F70420-600F-45A2-A26C-3B8819A5C6C0.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 184

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sorry for late reply had to get my phone fixed but it’s the buttons
Go to jaycar and ask for T4 led globes then what I do is straighten the 2 wire and remove them from there housing and transplant them into your original housing, buy 2 green or blue if you want blue for the screen and 4 whites for the rest. U see how they wrap around the light plug housing its easy to do, 1.95 each is pretty good, if they don't light up then you need to turn them 180deg. I like the smd ones on ebay they are much brighter and spreads more evenly across the screen.

Jaycar are T5 so Ebay be the cheapest unless you want to pay 19 per globe at Holden.

Last edited: