Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx berlina key

Zac bowman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx berlina
I've recently bought a 2001 vx berlina, I received two keys with the car, on both keys the buttons work to lock and unlock the car, if I try to start the car it starts no problems but if I use the key to manually unlock the door it won't unlock, I've tried this with both keys, wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
They require quite a bit of force to turn the key.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Or either door lock replaced or ignition been replaced and keys dont match

Or door lock stuffed due to attempt break in

Zac bowman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx berlina
Could be a possible result, didn't think of that thanks

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I've recently bought a 2001 vx berlina, I received two keys with the car, on both keys the buttons work to lock and unlock the car, if I try to start the car it starts no problems but if I use the key to manually unlock the door it won't unlock, I've tried this with both keys, wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it!
Maybe the door has been replaced, different lock to original door.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
More than likely the ignition barrel has been replaced on the cheap with a 2nd hand one and a different key blade (they're a common failure)
Perhaps the door key has never been used and gummed up, some graphite spray may free it up...
Or it could be the key and ignition barrel are worn so they still work together but the worn key just won't work in the door anymore.

A couple of ways to go (the door locks are fidly and a pain to pull apart and recode a barrel)

(A)I'd get a new key blade cut to code from the vin number, any decent locksmith can do this.

If it opens the door but not work for the ignition barrel then i'd spend approximately $50 for a genuine barrel kit (part number 92172018, found on ebuy) and know I don't have a worn barrel that can fail at anytime.

(B) Ask any decent locksmith to decode your current key and see if it matches the code for your VIN number, if it does then get a new door lock coded to suit.

Purely to keep it easy in future if a new key is needed for any reason that requires it to be cut from code.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
my daughters car had this problem
i got a blade cut to vin
it unlocked ignition but not door
so i bought genuine door barrel and had locksmith code it and fit it

P.Jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 06
This happened to me and this is how I fixed my issue.

Lock leaver/button at the top of the door panel needed to be taken off and cleaned as it may be choked up with gunk making the key mechanism to hard to work, and clean the key lock with some lock Lubricant as that also was gunked up.
My locks now work perfectly

P.Jay

Last edited:

Veex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina S2
Or either door lock replaced or ignition been replaced and keys dont match

Or door lock stuffed due to attempt break in
****, so if you need to get the barrel replaced from the key getting stuck they will no longer manually open doors??