Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx berlina odd lights

Azragarn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina and VT Exec
This morning while driving my battery light came on and the spedo , temp, fuel gauge dropped to bottom (as if car was off). At the same time the Ac powered off, the odometer flashed with current kms.
After a bit all came back on. This happened several times on the 40min trip. From the first time to now the battery light is on

I have checked battery connection and was able to start the car again twice since stopping.

Any ideas what is happening?
Note am not the best with car mechanics but can figure most out

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
99% sure the voltage regulator on your alternator needs replacing, it's probably overcharging. Check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter, with the engine running. Ideally it should be around 14.2 - 14.4 give or take a bit.

Azragarn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina and VT Exec
99% sure the voltage regulator on your alternator needs replacing, it's probably overcharging. Check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter, with the engine running. Ideally it should be around 14.2 - 14.4 give or take a bit.

Cool will check that out thanks .. silly question, how urgent is this? i just started a 5 day 12hr rotation so wont have time to check it, will the car keep working or am i heading for a system failure?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

failing that it will be the ABS module of course the regulator is much more likely though seeing as no ABS light mentioned by the OP.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
If the alternator is overcharging you'll start blowing light bulbs, you'll kill the battery and maybe do more damage. It's not a good idea to keep driving around. Most places offer a free battery/alternator check, do it asap.

Azragarn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina and VT Exec
Ok, i did not mention it but the ABS and trac Ctrl lights did come on at one stage but did not stay on.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
You will need to stop driving ASAP and get it fixed. You risk destroying the battery (which I'd replace anyway) the ECU and a number of other components.

I concur about the cause as this is exactly what I saw on mine.

If it is LS1 you'll be up for a new alternator, if a V6 you can replace the regulator only.

Azragarn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina and VT Exec
If it is LS1 you'll be up for a new alternator, if a V6 you can replace the regulator only.

Ill drive home tonight then not use it untill i can get it looked at.
I have the V6 so hopefully i can just do the regulator

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Changing the regulator on a V6 is cheap and easy, not so on the LS1.

Azragarn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina and VT Exec
One more question as you guys have been great .. any idea where i can source a regulator in Western Sydney?