Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Bonnet won't open again : (

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Even after buying a complete new Holden catch the bonnet once again won't open.
About 12 months ago we had to bonnet not open and after doing the long screwdriver from underneath into the catch I bought a complete new catch spring thingy.
Now for 12 months not one problem opening the bonnet and 2 weeks ago after doing our last 2,000 klm trip away I go to do the daily engine checks and buggar the bonnet won't open.

Just wondering, do the bonnet release cables ever need replacing or is it possible for the catch to move or why would the bonnet not open when its been fine for 12 months.
Is this a common problem with all the Commodores?

Last edited:

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Edition S2 3.8
hi someone reversed into me once and mine didnt open after that, i realized that if i got someone to hold the release up you could just lift the bonnet up

D

devilly

just thinking that over time the rubbers that screw up and down

might have squashed down and just need to undo a bit to make them longer :)

you have one left and one right.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Even aftyer buying a complete new Holden catch the bonnet once again won't open.
About 12 months ago we had to bonnet not open and after doing the long screwdriver from underneath into the catch I bought a complete new catch spring thingy.
Now for 12 months not one problem opening the bonnet and 2 weeks ago after doing our last 2,ooo klm trip away I go to do the daily engine checks and buggar the bonnet wont open.

Just wondering, do the bonnet release cables ever need replacing or is it possible for the catch to move or why would the bonnet not open when its been fine for 12 months.
Is this a common problem with all the Commodores?

Its a cable, cables stretch over time so yes they do need replacing.

Also lubricate the mechanism, its probably jamming and not opening fully.

Or you haven't got the rubbers set correctly, if you pull the cable and someone pushes on the bonnet does it pop open when they let go.

hi someone reversed into me once and mine didnt open after that, i realized that if i got someone to hold the release up you could just lift the bonnet up

Yours is ####ed majorly then, its a 2 stage mechanism, if you hold the release handle and they can just straight out lift the bonnet, somethings really broken.

there's 3 of them, 1 on each side and 1 in the middle.

Too much or too little the bonnet wont pop open.

think about the racing bonnet easy release system

or this bit of kit

Universal Racing Mount Bonnet Carbon Fiber Hood Latch Pin Key Locking Kit | eBay

Most of them get you in **** as they class as a pedestrian hazard, the ones you linked pass the pedestrian hazard but they look flimsy as ****, one little pin and a chinese lock that might vibrate open and if they are the only holding your bonnet closed it aint gonna end pretty.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Oops no quote attached

Last edited:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback

Yep we thought of that when we replaced the catch, spring thingy which we set with a removable Loc-tite product..
All rubbers replaced and the mechanism greased on a regular basis.

Last edited:
D

devilly

pop the bonnet and when its up,get a long screw driver and push the mech back and then let it release see if you can see anything bent or scrapping out somewhere.

or easy still get someone to pull the cable and watch what the mech does.

mine needed a let bend on the locking arm and the big round thingo on the bonnet need to be adjusted as well.so it would go into the car body mech and not jam the whole system.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
18/09/15 - Well its been 3 weeks so next weekend I'd better pull me finger out and open the bonnet. I've also noticed for what ever reason the bonnet no longer sits flush with the guards, on the left side near the windscreen and at the front on the right hand side, no idea why. I'll loosen the mounting bolts off, realign and re-tighten and readjust the spring thingy. Were off to another mountain biking event in 2 weeks so I'll need to check her fluids.

Last edited:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
20/09/15 - I jacked up the front end and slide in under only to find the new catch thingy has had the slotted end forced open and I can't turn the screwdriver in the end. I'm the only one to have worked on the car since the new catch was fitted so how would the end be forced.
The only thing I can think of is someone has tried to open the bonnet without entering the cabin. Maybe this is why the bonnet no longer sits flush with the guards and when I first noticed this about 6 months ago I thought some ape must have pulled up on the bonnet corner. Bloody hell now I'm well and truly rooted, can anyone suggest a method to open the bonnet, crazy or not. I'll try holding the bonnet fully down while someone pulls on the lever and just maybe it'll pop. If not then I'd hate to have to cut into the bonnet to access the end of the springy things bolt and ez out the bolt.