Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Broken ignition switch, wong start

Fuzzypumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
Hi,

Wife drove to the local shops, went to leave and the car wouldnt start.
Turning the key does nothing because I can feel there is no mechanical load behind the switch.
I can rotate key back and forth , from the accesory position to the start position, feeling no clicks
or detents and to make it worse its stuck in accesory position.
I has air bags, so I wondering if this is common, does anyone which piece is broken or will I have change the whole coffee pot in the column?

Cheers, Archie

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sounds to me like the end of the barrel (the part that goes into the ignition switch) has broken off. A common problem and it means a new barrel is needed. Disconnect the battery so it won't go flat.

Fuzzypumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
Thanks, I have comfirmed that's exactly the problem after I returned to the carpark with af ew tools and now I got the car home.

New barrel , mmmmmm, definately a new outer assembly, but does the actual inner barrel come out so I can transfer it and use the same key
or am I up for a new ingition new, then I'll be left with adiffrent door key?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
A lot of locksmiths sell the barrels because it is such a common problem, they can also code it to suit your existing key.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
replace the whole barrel as they wear out together
if you (could) replace just the outer eventually it would get stuck again....
new barrel will have to be coded to key....

Fuzzypumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6
Thanks fot the info guys,

I went down to the local locksmith who sold me a new barrel assembly, keyed to my existing key $100 later.

kaveebee4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
VX 2 Ignition Barrel Failure

I have just had the same problem. If it wasn't for this site I would have been in a lot of hot water. Our key jammed, wouldn't go into ACCESSORIES and so wouldn't withdraw.
The RACV mechanic and towtruck driver, between them I think wrenched the steering wheel out of lock. When I got the car home and had a look at it I had a lot of trouble getting the whole assembly dismantled. The stuck key prevented the removal of the Immobilizer Ring and so I had to take the two key screws out and pull the door lock reader off the key. Then finally force the key with a spanner into ACCESSORIES position.
After that things went a lot better. I bought a new replacement genuine key lock assembly from Doncaster Holden for 60 bucks. Thats all I spent. Once you get the lock barrel and sleeve assembled you have to make sure you do two things:
Put the steering lock in UNLOCK position, use a screwdriver for this.
Turn the actual ignition switch to ACCESSORIES position. Again, use a screwdriver.
Finally, remember to turn the key to ACCESSORIES for when you slide in the key and barell assembly.
Take your time
Be cool.
Don't try to force things.
I have put up 5 short vids on Youtube showing how I did this. Not great quality but still I hope it helps someone.

The whole lot should just slide in easy. If it doesn't something is wrong.