Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx bump from rear left side when accelerating

Craig54

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx wagon
Hi
If I accelerate away for a standing position quickly there is a strange bump sensation coming from the back rear axel.
Any ideas what this can be???
Craig54

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
I got my car serviced recently, got the injectors cleaned, a new fuel filter put in, and had a basic service done, they advised me that I needed to get the belts and pulleys done because they were squealing a little and the belts had surface cracks but that i could leave it a bit without worrying too much. The Saturday before I had been on a cruise, and had some fun...I went away for Easter and as I was driving, the car started missing and pulling from the left side at the same time...usually when accelerating. It occurs around the 80 - 100 kph range, and also between 30 and 60 kph and it sounds like the car is missing but it's also pulling from the left rear wheel when it does this...could it be the Diff (stock/non-LSD) or would it be a timing problem?

Last edited:

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
Craig did you manage to find the problem back in march when you posted this?

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
I thought the problem was sorted...it's not, but I think it may be that the timing is out. I mean it is out a bit for sure coz car is backfiring, but I dunno. either way at the moment it sounds like a WRX when accelerating and like it has a worked camshaft when idle, and it's pulling and shaking from the back end....it looks spectacular when it heats up and you just sit there idling...I wish the car did it for a good reason...I want a cam put in lol :p

Last edited:

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
lol. it could be an engine mount mine has a knocking noise, shakes like a cam has been put in it. but it has idling issues but it doesn't not sound like a WRX, have you checked spark plugs, leads and coil packs?

it could be timing, i would also check the CV Joints and rear axles, along with suspension components to make sure they are all in good condition.

Last edited:

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
lol. it could be an engine mount mine has a knocking noise, shakes like a cam has been put in it. but it has idling issues but it doesn't not sound like a WRX, have you checked spark plugs, leads and coil packs?

it could be timing, i would also check the CV Joints and rear axles, along with suspension components to make sure they are all in good condition.

I don't think it's an engine mount as the problem wasn't there when i bought the car, and it's only started happening 3 wks ago, and there shouldn't be any real reason for autobahn to touch the engine mounts unless they were taking the whole engine out when performing a basic service. Plugs and leads were replaced the last time i took the car in, someone else i've spoken to mentioned coil packs so I might get them checked in case...anyways I'm gonna get the timing done next time I decide to take it in, thanks for replying :thumbsup:

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
I've spoken to someone who said it's definitely sucking air from somewhere, he said that that's why it's surging and sounding like it has a worked camshaft in it. he said it's probably the intake gasket because of the backfiring that's been occuring. He's the only person I've spoken to who has been able to say he's 100% sure and he explained why including describing all the reasons for the symptoms I'm having, so I'm inclined to agree with him. He said he has the same problem with his V6 ute because he put an old intake gasket in it. So I'm going to get it checked out...

chris_2787

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore Wagon
hi guys i resently changed my spark plugs and leads and lately the car has been idling rough and when i drive it shakes and rattles when i drive slowly i noticed that the back right hand side squeaks and it feels like the car is jumping around (a lil like it has a square wheel or sumting) any suggestions on what it could be?????

cheers Chris.

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
I thought the problem was sorted...it's not, but I think it may be that the timing is out. I mean it is out a bit for sure coz car is backfiring, but I dunno. either way at the moment it sounds like a WRX when accelerating and like it has a worked camshaft when idle, and it's pulling and shaking from the back end....it looks spectacular when it heats up and you just sit there idling...I wish the car did it for a good reason...I want a cam put in lol :p

I found part of the problem today when I was glancing through the engine bay....the problem with the car sounding like it's got a worked cam when idle and a lot of the shaking was due to the left centre spark plug lead being off...I don't know how it came off, but either way I put it back on and now a fair bit of the noise has been reduced and the car stopped shaking while idle...now just to resolve the pulling from the back which is on hold for a bit right now due to certain extenuating circumstances which leave my car stranded under a car cover in the car porch :bang:

Craig54

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx wagon
thanks guys for you imput turns out iy was engine mounts