Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX CALAI L67 17L/100k,

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Hey guys, I test drove a nice VX calai s2 L67 today the car has done under 150,000's runs like a gem. Although as im new to VT/VX's the trip computer was telling me its using 17.1L per 100ks and thats way off.

So my question is, could it be the trip computer playing up? or could it be because "car dealers" are known to put 5-10Ltrs of petrol in there cars. This car I drove today probably only had 5litres of juice in it when I drove it, could this also be a reason its judging wrong?

Thanks

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
17L/100km isn't whacked really. I get 12L/100km with my VT Exec, that's country driving mostly, bits of city. In the city it's much higher, up near the 20 mark. Only drops below 10L/100km on big drives to Parkes and such.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Sounds fair whacked out too me, im assuming the trip computer is judging this as I assume the car dealer just tops up the fuel every now and than so hasnt read it properly yet. But would like another opinion on this. As my VN5.0 uses 15Lper 100k's, so surely the v6's couldnt use any more than those ancient beasts.

3800SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais 3.8 Supercharged
This could be a true reading. The computer could have been reset and then will start reading from the higher side until it gets a bigger range of driving to read from. On the flip side, you could quite easily get the V6 Supercharged to drink that amount of fuel if it was really pushed hard. I am pretty sure the car dealers would not be driving it like an old lady. I would not think the computer has any real issue with it.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Yeah well you are right, I gave her a good spin also ;) and im sure other "testers" would have also hence the high fuel reading I think that is where the problem lays and not the car itself. Is that what your trying to say?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Also, without driving for a good few days, it might not be a terribly accurate reading. Especially if your driving style was varying. i.e. gunning it in traffic, then drove in a 80zone for 10mins.

3800SC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais 3.8 Supercharged
Pretty much. Nobody test driving the car would be taking it easy. The SC 6 also kind of urges you to drive it harder, it really makes you want to give it heaps. It is hard to explain but when you drive one of these cars on a daily basis, it is no fun unless you are feeling the boost. If you are going to buy a car like this you could quite easily use 13-15 litres per 100km in normal driving with traffic even though you are not pushing it.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If it has been in a car dealership, they will use lots of fuel in driving it around the lot, and letting it idle for inspections, then it would lower a bit when its taken for a test drive, but it would easily be a fair bit higher than normal.

I've had my car reading 99.9L/100km once.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
They might have only put normal unleaded fuel in it too which will make it drink fuel.