Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Calais headlights dim when driving

fixitdude74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II CALAIS 5.7 A4
I have noticed(only at night), when i'm driving and i slow to stop at intersection, the headlights dim for a second or so, then they brighten back up, it does it everytime i pull up.

I've checked the alternator, its putting out 14.0v at idle, the cables look ok, its just really weird, its as tho something is drawing alot of current at that point when i slow to a stop.

Any ideas or pointers anyone?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Sounds like it could be the battery.
When you slow to a stop the engine revs (and the alternator) slow down, relying on the battery to supply power for a moment, then the revs pick up and the alternator takes back over.

Check that your battery is in good condition.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
I have noticed(only at night), when i'm driving and i slow to stop at intersection, the headlights dim for a second or so, then they brighten back up, it does it everytime i pull up.

I've checked the alternator, its putting out 14.0v at idle, the cables look ok, its just really weird, its as tho something is drawing alot of current at that point when i slow to a stop.

Any ideas or pointers anyone?

Sounds like it could be the battery.
When you slow to a stop the engine revs (and the alternator) slow down, relying on the battery to supply power for a moment, then the revs pick up and the alternator takes back over.

Check that your battery is in good condition.

Yep, I have had the same thing, new battery and problem is gone..

Not that it was really a problem as such.... But I just found that my battery was fairly nackered when I did a health check, so replaced it, and hey.. it fixed that problem i was having with the dimming lights.. haha

fixitdude74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II CALAIS 5.7 A4
Thanks for the tips, i'll check the battery out :beer chug: