Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX central locking sticking

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
My VX has tooted me on recent occasions when locking/unlocking with key fob to say there's an issue of sorts. It wasn't always clear but turns out my Pass-front door lock isn't always going down all the way. Sometimes it's most the way, or it barely moves. Same problem in that it sometimes doesn't always come all the way back up but only noticed this when stuffing around doing tests.

Has anyone had one of these play up? I've tried spraying a bit of lube around the door trim carefully and it doesn't seem to help, it doesn't feel any stiffer than the others either. I'm not sure this is how they act when the actual solenoid/locking motor is getting tired. Figured I'd post here because I'll forget until it toots me again, not common enough to be a pain...yet.

cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If the button is not going down all the way, I would guess someone may have tried to break in to your car and damaged the lock mechanism,
Probably best to see if you can locate one at a wreckers, and purchase it, approx. $40 I am guessing,
Pull the trim off, and replace it.
As you would spend more time in trying to repair it, being you have to pull it out to see what is wrong with it.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
It's only randomly doing it, not like it sticks every time or the same amount.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It's only randomly doing it, not like it sticks every time or the same amount.

For what's is worth, I would still replace it, for piece of mind that its locked properly.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Was hoping someone had a similar issue and what they did to overcome it, if they even located the issue. I may take the door trim off again and have a dig around, make sure not catching and add some thin lube in case it's gunked up in its travels. After that, you run out of easy fixes without pulling it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
My drivers door plays up after rain, seems to get sticky.
I give it a quick spray with silicone spray around the button fixes it.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Urgh...so I bit the bullet, finally decided, bugger it, just order a new door latch and solenoid and replace the lot. After shopping around and getting a better deal it finally turned up. No solenoid! WTF? So I checked the ad and it must have been one of the only ones not with solenoid already installed. No wonder it was slightly cheaper, making it so much more expensive since single solenoids are stupidly expensive outside of the door latch setup.

So anyway, now I don't know if I should just give it a go anyway, swap the door latch, reuse original solenoid, lube it all up well and hope it was part of the latch mech being gummy. Has anyone done the door latch or a solenoid? Can a solenoid be swapped easily in place or remove the whole latch and install as a unit, I think that's the case anyway if I remember how the rods and clips attach.

Bluh....it seems the more time and effort and trouble spent on arranging parts, the more chance of an incorrect one being sent! Not usually my fault, though, but no less frustrating and time consuming when you need to get the job done and realise they sent wrong part or it's damaged already.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Ok brief update, I went and picked up a good used door latch with solenoid for parts. I swapped the used and working solenoid onto the NOS latch and swapped into door after lubing it all up. I have tested it many times before putting the door trim back on, and since. Hasn't played up once, so far. If it does, I'll know what is left to swap.
I got so excited swapping it all and putting back together that when packing up tools I found the box of window sliders and similar that I also wanted to check while it was all apart, meh, next time.