Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX central locking unlocks over bumps

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
This was a rare issue with my car, did it like once every few months and always at the same downhill road that has a few small dips in it, nothing as rough as regular streets.

Being a Commodore, drivers door only unlocked, hit this small patch of road with dips and clunk, the rest unlock.

I figured one of the front door lock mechanisms may be worn and the jolting around is tricking the car into think it is being moved and to unlock the rest. So I replaced both front door power lock and latch assemblies with NOS items.

Several months on and forgotten about, it just did it again today, same section of road and has never done it anywhere else. Any ideas as to what may be causing it? It seems the slight incline combined with bumps is a combination it doesn't find elsewhere.

thanks

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't hit bumps / corrugation or slow down over them, you have 3 doors one is popping up due to the corrugation, tape down one at a time till you find the weak one that's sensitive and replace it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Maybe something in that area sending out the same frequency as your remote. If that is possible.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I did replace them, each of the fronts that can control all of them.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Is it a ute, Back ones also can open the lot. Dead lock the back ones with the child lock see if that stops it.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Bugger, just checked that also. Was thinking for some reason that each door can be unlocked inside by occupant but only the front will trigger the lot. Ok, so 2 more to go and they are mint. Potentially faulty...but mint! Have never had a rear passenger in the 15 years I've owned it. Thanks

Yikes....150 ea. The child lock idea might be tested if it happens again!

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bugger, just checked that also. Was thinking for some reason that each door can be unlocked inside by occupant but only the front will trigger the lot. Ok, so 2 more to go and they are mint. Potentially faulty...but mint! Have never had a rear passenger in the 15 years I've owned it. Thanks
I don't think the deadlock will stop it after just thinking about it, it only stops the door handle may be wrong, tape them down should prevent them from popping up, then you can see if it still does it and if it doesn't replace.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I had an idea, I know right...I sat in back seat with just the driver's door unlocked. Then I proceeded to thump around each rear door, front to rear. Nothing. I can't even see how the rears would have wear since was very low KM when I got the car and I've never had a back seat passenger that I recall. I can get rear complete latch/power lock assemblies for about 160 ea side, or minus the locking motor for 70 ea. But that doesn't say there's not a weak motor bobbing around if you reuse the originals. But also a hell of a lot of money to keep throwing at an annoying guess!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yikes....150 ea.

Look at second hand ones for testing, I believe they used the same door actuators up until atleast the VZ (images of the two will pretty much tell you). Will be like $10 or $20 ea if you go to a Pick-a-Part or find somebody that is wrecking a car.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also probably more likely, have you checked where the wiring runs from the door into the body? Likely the drivers door as that's the one that gets used the most, pull as much of it as you can out and see if the wiring jacket has worn through anywhere and can ground out or make contact with other wires.