Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Clubsport mafless tune problem HELP

whistle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
Hi guys, about 1 week ago I got a 228/228 cam installed at my local mechanic. After the cam was fitted I took it to Oztrack tuning for a duspeed OTR and mafless tune. There was no fuel smell in the car before the mafless tune.

On the drive back home (2 hours) It smelt like there was fuel in the car and I didn't think anything of it. Over the past week I have been driving to and from work (30 mins each way) and the fuel smell has gotten a lot worse. I have looked for any visible fuel leaks and followed the fuel lines all the way back to the tank and filler. There is no visible leaks anywhere.

Today I drove home from work and it's getting so bad that I have to have all the windows open just to drive the car. Again I checked it all over and no visible leaks. There is also no missing plugs or grommets in the firewall and no exhaust leaks.

I called oztrack and they aren't sure why I have this fuel smell. They want me to drive up there again, but working shift work it's not that easy for me to get time off.

Car Specs:

VX Clubsport
Standard headers with 100 cell cats and 2 1/2 inch dual system
228/228 .588 .588 cam with new valve springs to suit
Mafless tune with DUS OTR (Air temp sensor has been moved to the front of the OTR)
The O2 sensors have been switched off.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance David

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I had a pretty strong fuel smell when I had a injector start leaking, when in the garage does it smell like its coming from the engine bay or somewhere else?

whistle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
It doesn't smell at all in the engine bay. As I drive it seems to fill up the car. Today I opened the boot and it stunk in there too. So frustrating.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I don't think its related to your tune or anything man, as mine runs rich (tune) and u cant smell it in car or anything

sounds like you have a leaking fuel line or tank ect, maybe try get it onto a hoist or ramps and have a look under there

whistle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
Mate I've checked it from front to back underneath, followed all the fuel lines from the injectors all the way back to the fuel tank. I can't even smell it when the car is idle or off. I can only smell it when I'm driving.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Mate I've checked it from front to back underneath, followed all the fuel lines from the injectors all the way back to the fuel tank. I can't even smell it when the car is idle or off. I can only smell it when I'm driving.

ohhh ok man got me stumped, check that thread blackvxgts posted I had a quick look, good info in there

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Just curious, why did they turn the O2 sensors off?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Just curious, why did they turn the O2 sensors off?

Because oztrack is an idiot, I wouldn't trust him tuning a radio

whistle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
A lot of tuners turn them off after a mafless tune I was told.

Thanks guys I will check out the link and hopefully get this sorted.