Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX - Clunking coming out of turns..

woody11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
Hi all!!

been having a bit of drama with my VX S pack,

whenever I come out of a turn such as roundabouts, i'm hearing a clunk from the front end.. I've replaced the sway link bars cuz they were shot, but that wasn't the issue. I've also had the castor rod bushes (front and back) replaced, but still, nothing...

I'm thinking it might be something with the steering cuz it does it mostly coming out of turns, but it also makes a clunk when i hit large humps in the road, but dosn't do it over pot holes and such, just sharp inclines when the suspension would extend a fair way..
I'm thinking the strut mounts maybe????

I've had a look at the tie rod ends but nothings jumping out and hitting me in the face...
i've pulled on the wheel to check the ball joint, that all seems snug too...

Any help will be greatly appretiated, i'm at my wits end with this one..

Attachments

• 377.jpg
    377.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 494
  • 376.jpg
    376.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 798
Last edited:

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Clunking coming out of turns..

Sounds like strut tops to me too.

speijers

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac
gotta agree sounds like struts cuz my struts are gone and they make the same sorta noise

woody11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
Do you guys know if theres an easy way of checking the strut tops without having to take the entire thing apart?? i've checked under the bonnet and the top of the mount looks ok, the washer hasn't raised at all, i have noticed the dirt just around the mount looks like somethings been rubbing it and cleaning the dirt off, is there supposed to be any movement at the top like that??

Cheers..

Attachments

• 376.jpg
    376.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 377.jpg
    377.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Have a look and see if the strut plate has raised off the tower. Only good way to tell if the strut top is stuffed is by pulling it off completely. You will need a rattle gun to get that top strut bolt off though.

wylie27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim L67
Could be power steering rack bushes to..

woody11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
k i've had a look, the black rubber isn't touching anywhere, seems a bit high, and there is movment when i give it a bounce..

thanks for your help..

Attachments

• 378.jpg
    378.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 352

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
If there is a lot of movement, than it wouldn't hurt to replace them. Just make sure you use rubber ones.

Keep looking elsewhere under the car, could be something else.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Steering related clunks and knocks are the worst because it can be all sorts of different ****. On my VY I replaced all the usual stuff that creates these sorts of noises like strut tops, links pins, radius rod to chassis bushes, and eventually giving it to a few shop to check out just to get rid of a clunk, never got rid of it so I ended up giving up as it just wasn't worth putting any more money into it just for a noise. The car still drives and handles fine and nothing *looks* broken underneath.

And yeah, it would be good if you had a rattle gun if you decide to take that top nut off, and then the one below it too. I managed with spanners, brute force, and a lot of swearing of on my VY struts. On my VS it was a completely different story for the nut below the top one, left me with a lot of pain in my hands and wrists. Ended up taking the struts to a shop and giving the guy 20 bucks to undo it with a gun.

Good luck with finding that clunk.

woody11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
Thanks Zersys,

I replaced the engine mounts yesterday cuz they were shot, i hoped that might of been the clunk, but nope, same **** different day..

On another note, i noticed that when the car is parked and i turn the wheel quick back and forth, theres a click coming from the steering rack. I had a look under while the missus turned the wheel, and the rack is secure and the bushes are still good, but the rack is making a clicking noise. Thought this might be the problem and its just making a louder clunking noise when driving cuz of all the wait of the car on it?? the rack boot is stuffed too cuz of the heat from the exaust/extractors so thats on the to do list aswell.. think theres probably a bit of dirt under the boot as well..
Guess the question is should there be any noise coming from the rack??