Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx cluster issue, need help

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Hey guys, parts of my cluster have stopped working, ive taken out the cluster and identified a broken copper trace on the board. just a question how to i take it apart? ive removed the needles, the face and theres some torx screws that ive removed. i cant figure out how to separate the back plasic cover from the motherboard. any ideas?

Cheers

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Have you got all the screws out (6 in total) - 4 across the bottom and 2 up the top between the gauges?

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you got all the screws out (6 in total) - 4 across the bottom and 2 up the top between the gauges?
Yup absolutely

its weird, it just wont separate :(

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Strange there isnt anything else holding it together so it should just seperate unless its just the LCD screens contacts that r holding together but u should b able 2 seperate it still with very little effort.

tried prying the board away carfully?

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange there isnt anything else holding it together so it should just seperate unless its just the LCD screens contacts that r holding together but u should b able 2 seperate it still with very little effort.

tried prying the board away carfully?

Took a little bit of force its all good now. Just a little problem. I.bought the car 6 and the c and the cluster has 3 trip computer windows and they use to light up. About a month ago they stopped working I've bought replacement globes but they're still not working all went out at once I cannot work out how to fix this it's really annoying because I cannot see them at night. No traces have been damaged but I still want but I still want lineu but they but they still won't light up. Any ideas?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
with the working globes u bought can u bench test them with a 12V supply of some sort? even a car battery will do, these can blow very easy assuming ur talking bout globes and have not gone out and got urself LEDs? but yeah bench test them coz any bumps, knocks or vibrations even can blow them even wen new.

u can even put the clusters PCB back into the car and test the globes sockets 4 power either with a test light or DMM.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I've tested the globes they're all working fine. I don't know what to do. I don't wanna go out and buy a new cluster. And they're hard to find as well since its a series two Calais and the km on the new one won't match up :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
No actually. I'll pull it out later today and check with my multi meter.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pulled it out and tested the PCB... no power. I checked all the traces they're fine. I'm so confused. Any ideas?