Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx commodore charging issue

Knackers65

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx & vz commodores
Hello, new here but have benefited from JC's collective wisdom many times. My VX Commodore (s2 exec wagon) has recently become a battery killer. First, my aircon/heater fan stopped working and after a few days - speedo, tacho, temp & fuel gauges die, dash lights & headlights dim, trans slips & jumps & then she stopped turning over (dead battery). I installed a freshly charged battery, replacement alternator & blower fan resistor. Checked all fuses too. Things seem back to normal until the same stuff happened again a few days later. Any help would be appreciated, she's been a great car and I'd really like to keep her going. Cheers.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
what voltage at
engine off
engine idling
engine at 2500 rpm
engine at 2500rpm with headlights on

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Best thing to do, is check whilst the engine is running, you have an output at the alternator of 13.5 to 14.7 volts...Then re-test at the positive of the battery to see if the figure is the around the same figure and report back.

It is possible you have a slight break in the charge wire between the battery and alternator, causing your issues....Also check both battery terminals are clean.....

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Check the Charge voltage when idling, should be approx. 13.9 > 14.2V,
increase the idle speed and it should increase to 14.4V approx.
Switch the headlights on and it will probably decrease to 14.2 approx.
If not Replace the Alternator Regulator,
or
Before spending any money on the alternator, remove the serpentine belt [but take a photo of the belt before you do]
and spin the Alternator, if its noisy the bearing will also need replacing,
Where you have 4 options -
  1. Replace the complete Alternator with a Reco Change over [could be expensive]
  2. Replace the completed Alternator with one from a wreckers [approx. $75, depends when you can get one]
  3. Just replace the Regulator [Cheap on eBay approx. $45 Regulator to suit a RE72] very easy to replace, 1 x wiring plug, and 2 screws.
  4. Replace the Bearings and Regulator, [Parts are cheap on eBay, but best to use a bearing press to replace the bearings] then you know it will probably last anther 10 years.
PS: I did read that you replaced the Alternator, New or S/Hand ?, but just providing other options.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When you say replaced Alternator was it new? Prior to this was the old Alternator over charging?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I would take it to an auto spark be cheaper in the long run the poking in the dark killing batteries and maybe other things

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
@Knackers65
Where you able to sort the issue out ?