Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore dead

Terry Papworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
Hi
A couple of days ago while driving the battery light came on as well as check power train light. Next morning I go to start car and there is nothing-no dash lights-no crank-no nothing. Battery is only a couple of months old. I noticed that the key was not locking/unlocking the car at times a week earlier. Anyway I connect a battery charger and a weak alarm goes off continually. Also I tried to jump start with a battery operated type and nothing. I have removed the battery as it was indeed flat-0.78 V . But I couldn't jump start it??

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'd say your alternator is the most likely problem.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A flat battery will draw power trying to charge itself when you jump start a car. Sometimes it pays to just connect up both cars and let the 2nd car charge the battery a bit before trying to start the dead car.

Start (pun intended) with a fully charged battery and see what it does.

Terry Papworth

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
Thanks
I took the battery out and charged it separately. Put it back in and reset the computer.
Multimeter used to test and it looks as if the alternator is overcharging at 17-18 volts.
I guess I'm off to the auto electrician to confirm as its a pain to be without the car and these things generally happen
on the weekend!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You most likely only need the voltage regulator replaced and not the whole alternator.