Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx commodore diff

Westy1122339988

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore vx
Fellas i got a m80 live on the vx and will be pulling diff out to spool it and been told that you have to align the diff in straight when you put it back and apparently it’s hard is this true or not ?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you have a VX it won't be live, it's IRS. You have to set your diff up correctly, if you don't it will wear and be noisy.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If setting up diffs correctly, "correctly" being the key word here was easy diff shops would not exist because every mechanic would just do it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fellas i got a m80 live on the vx and will be pulling diff out to spool it and been told that you have to align the diff in straight when you put it back and apparently it’s hard is this true or not ?

Are you talking about aligning it in the diff cradle? I've had my diff in and out a few times and I've not had a problem. The rear diff mount doesn't have a lot of room for movement on the body laterally so if you don't get it in right the 4 mounting bolts won't line up. When I do them I put the 4 bolts into the diff/subframe loosely, I then jack the diff up and align the rear mount and put the bolts in to make sure everything is aligned and then tighten a couple of the diff to subframe bolts. Then I lower the whole lot down and torque the diff to subframe bolts.

If setting up diffs correctly, "correctly" being the key word here was easy diff shops would not exist because every mechanic would just do it.

This is true but just doing a spool is a bit different as you aren't moving the pinion, just taking out the centre and fitting a spool. As long as you set the backlash as it was originally you will never know it has been out.

Westy1122339988

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore vx
And yes mate bolting it back into car got mate that says don’t do it don’t do it’s to hard but dosnt even have a car himself aha and it’s not a daily it’s a dedicated skidder so

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to learn.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm guessing you are fitting a mini-spool?