Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX COMMODORE DUAL FUEL INJECTED LPG VALLEY GASKET REPLACEMENT

Bill Burford

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2 Acclaim
VALLEY GASKET REPLACEMENT ON DUAL FUEL INJECTED 3.8 VX COMMODORE.

This is covered in a number of YouTube vids but here are a few of my ideas on a VX Commodore dual fuel with injected LPG .

Take photos of everything before you work on it so you can put things back in the right place!!

After removing the turtle cover remove the plate on top of the plenum chamber then before removing the top part of the plenum chamber remove the electrical connectors to the six petrol injectors using long nose pliers to avoid dropping the wire clips.

Remove the top part of the plenum chamber. I did not undo the fuel lines but simply tied the top part of the plenum chamber to the driver’s side bonnet strut.

There is a spring on the top of the inlet manifold exposed by removing the top plenum chamber. It holds the PCV valve. Extract the PCV and you should be able to blow through it one way but not the other, and it should rattle when you shake it. Give it a clean – see YouTube - or better still, replace it. They are not expensive.

The Throttle Body (TB) has two hoses, one towards the front connected to a port on the inlet manifold, and the other one is a purge hose going to a fitting on the back of the engine, driver’s side. This fitting has an electrical connector and another hose, and is rather hard to find. Detach it from this fitting and from the TB. There are two rather obvious electrical connectors to the TB, and two cables. The cable with the smaller plastic end is detached from the TB by bringing the ball joint on the TB backwards and the other larger metal one is a press on clip.

LPG injectors will depend on the type you have. On one side I had to detach the wiring to the module and of course you have to detach the hoses. Detach them from the modules rather than the manifold where they will have had more heat on them and might tear.

At the back of the manifold there is a clip holding reasonably major wiring harnesses which you have to unclip by lifting the harness up. Yours may be better clipped than mine were. Before lifting the inlet manifold, check the location of the purge hose from the TB to the back of the engine. It threads through the manifold pipes. (I did not pick that and when I lifted the manifold I had a plastic pipe about 300mm long with the hose connector to the TB on one end and no idea where the other end went. It was a bugger to get back when I had all the major parts reassembled and in the end I routed a longer hose round the front of the plenum chamber to connect the purge hose.)

Reassembly is covered on You Tube. Remember before replacing the alternator to put the plug leads and the alternator connector harness UNDER it, otherwise they will not fit!

Under the alternator are two hose connections to the heater tap. Use silicone RTV on the O rings on these pipes and the O rings are best replaced. The bottom one which is about 190mm long and presses into the engine with nuts on two studs at each end, should fit easily. If you over tighten the nuts because it does not fit easily you can break the aluminium tang necessitating a trip to the wreckers.

Hope all this helps. Keep well.