Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX commodore LOUD Bang......

Daizy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
VX commodore ; When driving approx 60 Km per hour a loud bang occurs in the vacinity of the left front wheel, and it feels like the left wheel momentarily pauses,
Have recently replaced brakes and hubs any ideas machined rotors, Mechanic has checked car many time cant find the problem.

It is a very loud band, thumping sound like you hit something, happens once, then dont hear it for some time then out of the blue BANG, like days apart. it has happen like 5 time in as many weeks.

It is scary, the wife freaks out, didnt understand what she was on about until it happened to me and believe me it scared me 2.

Any ideas?????????

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
You don't have aftermarket rims with the wrong offset do you? I've heard of ill-fitted rims catching ever so slightly on calipers... (This is the first thing that came to mind given the "bang" and "pause" comments you made)

As for the rest of the suspension, the only parts that can really build up enough force to make such a loud thud are the struts, the swaybar, and the radius rod.

Try replicating this: http://www.nolathane.com.au/Videos/roll_by_test.wmv - testing radius rod bushes. (If these bushes are flogged out enough, the wheel could in some circumstances grab the inner wheel-arch under heavy braking, speedbumps, etc)

Check your strut tops under the bonnet, get down level with them and have a look underneath them, is there a gap, or do they sit nice and flush? (Look at where the metal cone of the strut cap passes the ring around the top of your strut tower)

Check the link pins and mounting bushes on your swaybar, all good with no cracks?

Finally: I had the pleasure of seeing a car recently, which had managed to loosen a shock absorber inside the strut, made for one hell of a ride. (check this by reaching through the spring and lifting the boot to check the position of your shock.)

Keep us posted! :)

Daizy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Thanks for the very informative information.
Cheers