Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore mods P plater edition

Cameron Leary

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina 01
I'm after ideas for what I should do with my commodore for a bit more power It's stock as a rock I'm the third owner. All I've done to it is replaced the front hub bearing and spent about 1500$ at the mechanics on bullsh#t. So far I've come up with
> k&n filter
> new or bigger throttle body(mech said needs to be cleaned)
> a shift kit, possibly in the future.
> decent exhaust system

Well that's all I've got so far. I just wanna hear some money conscious upgrades that I can do myself, fairly mechanically competent, I've done work on trail bikes since I was 12, rebuilds etc. So kinda can do most things myself just don't wanna pay $$$ for simple stuff I can do myself. Cheers in advance

Attachments

• Snapchat-1500812186.jpg
    Snapchat-1500812186.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 199

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
i waited till i was off my Ps and got a V8. it worked really well, i gained over 200hp.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Intake,exhaust and tune is normally the 1st go to’s for performance mods also a really good mod for extra pick up is lower diff gears, your car will have a 3.08 ratio at the moment if you change to a 3.45 or 3.7 ratio the car will be noticeably quicker on acceleration and just better to drive around

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The most sensible advice is work through your provisional learning period first, then look for better performance.

But as a P plater, you probably won't do that.

Cameron Leary

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina 01
The most sensible advice is work through your provisional learning period first, then look for better performance.

But as a P plater, you probably won't do that.

P Plater I am but I am 20 not 17 .. I've had to do the 12 months Learners period twice due to suspension and law changes. So if you're assuming I can't handle a high performance car you are mistaken sir. The only thing restricting me is the provisional laws.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
P Plater I am but I am 20 not 17 .. So if you're assuming I can't handle a high performance car you are mistaken sir.

Holy crap.....Another 20 year old who thinks they are an experienced and competent driver that can handle a high performance car.
No disrespect mate, but I'd say at a guess that the vast majority of the members on this forum would have been driving "High Performance" cars longer than you've been alive.
Get back to us about Performance mods for your car when you've grown up and actually have a full licence

Cameron Leary

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina 01
Holy crap.....Another 20 year old who thinks they are an experienced and competent driver that can handle a high performance car.
No disrespect mate, but I'd say at a guess that the vast majority of the members on this forum would have been driving "High Performance" cars longer than you've been alive.
Get back to us about Performance mods for your car when you've grown up and actually have a full licence

Hey mate thanks for the life changing advice your a deadset legend. My eyes are now open to the world. I'm booking an advanced driving course ASAP to broaden my driving skills and help me control a high performance vehicle

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
What I take out of what Calabar and Tonner Mat are trying to say is young blokes are prone to being impatient and that with a bit of age comes experience, that experience not only teachers you more about how a car handles but more importantly ( I assume this is your only car and therefore used 99% of the time on the road), not only road conditions but what other road uses are doing ( and not that I condone breaking road rules) but when can drive in a more spirited manner and do that reasonably safely.
What I also interpret Calaber as saying is spend the time on your P,s to decide what exactly you want in a car and save for a really nice version of said vehicle as I I'm guessing this is your first car and therefore far from being your last.
Having said all that what vr304 said is a start if you really want to mod this car.
Have a read on here there are some really nice v6 commodores : eg look at immortality vs pete , Richie's VT Exec - VX SS Kitted - A tidy 6 banger just to mention a few.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
P Plater I am but I am 20 not 17 .. I've had to do the 12 months Learners period twice due to suspension and law changes. So if you're assuming I can't handle a high performance car you are mistaken sir. The only thing restricting me is the provisional laws.
That's where you're mistaken. Once you have a couple of near misses or accidents, or lose a couple of mates who once had the same opinion I'm sure you'll adjust your attitude.

I've only recently moved to a full license, and I'm not much older than you. It's a real eye opener seeing how deaths on our roads impact such a large group of people. One of my best mates was killed 7 years ago in a car accident (driver and only fatality). Things still aren't the same today, and his family has been torn apart because of it. Friendship groups changed forever.

Nothing will replace experience in conjunction with GOOD EDUCATION on the roads - something that our graduated licensing programs don't even emphasise.