Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Commodore Ram Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Here ya go ...... don't farnarkle around ............. fit one of these.

VS Commodore

It will scare the roos to death before they get anywhere near you.
One of my army mates got one of those fitted to his ute

It was all B&S worthy until he hit a roo and bent the bejebus out of it

Wasn't really a big roo either

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Here is a reason not to swerve to miss a kangaroo............

Man dies after car hits kangaroo (msn.com)

As hard as it is not to take impulsive evasive steering actions, it is a mind set that was ingrained into me since a teenager, about country driving.
Brake as hard as you can in a straight line.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Or buy these....I have used these for 20 years, travelling throughout S.A, outback NSW and QLD......Haven't hit skippy yet
1641034653026.png

I have my doubts about these initially, but I have also used them for years, and never had a moment with cars fitted with them ............ Placebo luck ?
Last roo I hit was about 20 years ago, in the HQ, within 2km of home, and no whistling thingys fitted on that. New front bar and radiator needed.

As for the trucking B&S roo bars on lowered utes with low profile tyres, and aircraft landing lights, I think they are just Garage Kings with spray on mud. They cannot be practical on unsealed country roads.

Example, the road from Tibooburra to the QLD border is generally cut up, and it is a matter of straddling the carved wheel ruts hoping the under body doesn't scrape when you run out of high points to drive on. The Cross6 made a few slow graunching noises along that bit of goat-track.
Over the QLD border to Noccundra, the road is well looked after, but short, sharp creek crossings will keep you alert, and I wonder how a lowered ute at 100kmh, with a trucking roo bar would handle the suspension bottoming out and subsequent approach angle.
And there are any number of roads like that in Kangaroo Kountry.

Of course, that is why 'everybody' drives their 4WD Hilux, not a Commodore, to Dead Dingo Creek.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Example, the road from Tibooburra to the QLD border is generally cut up, and it is a matter of straddling the carved wheel ruts hoping the under body doesn't scrape when you run out of high points to drive on. The Cross6 made a few slow graunching noises along that bit of goat-track.
Over the QLD border to Noccundra, the road is well looked after, but short, sharp creek crossings will keep you alert, and I wonder how a lowered ute at 100kmh, with a trucking roo bar would handle the suspension bottoming out and subsequent approach angle.
And there are any number of roads like that in Kangaroo Kountry.

Of course, that is why 'everybody' drives their 4WD Hilux, not a Commodore, to Dead Dingo Creek.

They plow the road for us mere mortals :)

H

harrop.senator

I have my doubts about these initially, but I have also used them for years, and never had a moment with cars fitted with them ............ Placebo luck ?
Last roo I hit was about 20 years ago, in the HQ, within 2km of home, and no whistling thingys fitted on that. New front bar and radiator needed.

As for the trucking B&S roo bars on lowered utes with low profile tyres, and aircraft landing lights, I think they are just Garage Kings with spray on mud. They cannot be practical on unsealed country roads.

Na most of us have struts and springs for a muster and different wheels. Throw them in over the season and either just stays like that because you've got a not 30 year old Ute that can't carry more than 700kgs. Or un bolt them when you get home and put the others back in.

When I'm down south here it's either a Hilux / ranger on 33's or a commodore/Falcon Ute with clearance lights and a bar in the pub car parks. Especially if the skimpies are on lol.

Cameron_Vx_ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss commodore
Here is a reason not to swerve to miss a kangaroo............

Man dies after car hits kangaroo (msn.com)

As hard as it is not to take impulsive evasive steering actions, it is a mind set that was ingrained into me since a teenager, about country driving.
Brake as hard as you can in a straight line.
Hi, yeah I know not to swerve if I had a couple of trees on both sides of the road I only really encounter kangaroos when going to port Pirie and there aren’t many trees out there but thanks for the concern

H

harrop.senator

Hi, yeah I know not to swerve if I had a couple of trees on both sides of the road I only really encounter kangaroos when going to port Pirie and there aren’t many trees out there but thanks for the concern

Even without the trees the holy **** swerve a lot of the time has people in trouble. Have even seen someone turn it so hard they copped it with the driver's door as the front left hit gravel and really tried to turn.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Daughter's Yaris vs Skippy, lots of straight line hard breaking, skip went up onto bonnet then slid off onto other side of road

Lucky the momentum kept it heading across the car and not through the windscreen so only minimal damage

No joey's, apparent broken back, she dragged it off the road where is expired from blood loss

IMG_6140.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

On the way to Port Pirie roos? I have a daughter in Port Augusta and haven't struck roos heading from Adelaide to Augusta....

I also have mates in Bute...Still no roos going to see them even out there

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Got lucky there, the round shape of the the front of the car may have helped.

Back home we get a few deer and they like to come through the windscreen as you take out the legs and the body impacts on the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.