Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx Commodore Ram Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have my doubts about these initially, but I have also used them for years, and never had a moment with cars fitted with them ............ Placebo luck ?
Last roo I hit was about 20 years ago, in the HQ, within 2km of home, and no whistling thingys fitted on that. New front bar and radiator needed.

As for the trucking B&S roo bars on lowered utes with low profile tyres, and aircraft landing lights, I think they are just Garage Kings with spray on mud. They cannot be practical on unsealed country roads.

Example, the road from Tibooburra to the QLD border is generally cut up, and it is a matter of straddling the carved wheel ruts hoping the under body doesn't scrape when you run out of high points to drive on. The Cross6 made a few slow graunching noises along that bit of goat-track.
Over the QLD border to Noccundra, the road is well looked after, but short, sharp creek crossings will keep you alert, and I wonder how a lowered ute at 100kmh, with a trucking roo bar would handle the suspension bottoming out and subsequent approach angle.
And there are any number of roads like that in Kangaroo Kountry.

Of course, that is why 'everybody' drives their 4WD Hilux, not a Commodore, to Dead Dingo Creek.

Been through some shite roads in outback NSW....The road from Bourke to Cobar used to be part dirt part bitument....So having a bullbar on like that ute would have resulted in some ploughing....

Another was inbetween Eidsvold and Taroom or Taroom and Injune South Western Qld...Can't remember exactly where, but again, another ploughing style road with a bullbar like that ute fitted....

Since fitting those shuroos, I had one oh shite moment about 6 years ago....Travelling night time through western NSW, a roo stuck his head up when I was about 20 metres away from a white road side sign post doing 110....He stayed put but I shat.....I reckon he heard those shuroos, hence why he popped his head up, but didn't come out to say hello, thank truck....

H

harrop.senator

Got lucky there, the round shape of the the front of the car may have helped.

Back home we get a few deer and they like to come through the windscreen as you take out the legs and the body impacts on the glass.

There's a guy on YouTube called side neck who can't hold his head up. He got a moose at speed back half came through the windscreen. Kicked him so hard it snapped his neck.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Been through some shite roads in outback NSW...........

I can't nominate the shitest road I have been on, but growing up in western QLD in the late '50s > early '60s, all the roads were shite, and I didn't know any different, and thought that was just the way it was.
If they were not corrugated sand, they were a road base with exposed 6 inch rocks, or hardened black soil with wheel ruts that you did not want to get tramline stuck in.
Water over the road ? Walk it first looking for potholes and hard areas.
If I had been told about crocodiles in the usually dry river crossings, I would have been looking out for them too.

Bitumen, 2 lanes wide ? Pure luxury, for city slickers ................ tell young'uns about that today, and they just won't believe you.

Reactions: Lex

Cameron_Vx_ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss commodore
On the way to Port Pirie roos? I have a daughter in Port Augusta and haven't struck roos heading from Adelaide to Augusta....

I also have mates in Bute...Still no roos going to see them even out there
Yeah I’ve seen one or two dead kangaroo’s on the side of the road never encountered one hitting me but I get told by family up there that it happens quite a bit

H

harrop.senator

I've had more issues with idiot emus running into the side of the Ute than skippies from the front haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.