Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore revs surging

lukemartin94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive S1
I set it up to get them spraying while off and all were fine, didn't replace O-Rings, because I couldn't get my hands on any at the time, but they all looked good.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
DFCO is something holden programmed into the ecu to do when speed/load conditions are right. It cuts the fuel to be more fuel efficient. It can make the revs hunt.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off). Pretty self explanatory. Mine does it too. Revs barely move though. Plus on the 3 Window cluster you can see the instant fuel read out go to zero.

In my case, above 100kmh and coasting down hill in fourth gear (auto) or above 70kmh in third also coasting. Below those speeds it won't do it, readout will show 0.1 or more.

I'd say it's probably normal.

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...

lukemartin94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive S1
Ah, okay. I dont think this is normal because it didnt do it when I first got my car, it started playing up months after and definitely doesnt feel normal :/

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
Mine is the same. But it only started happening after I changed the tb to a c4b item. Maybe that was in combination with the ls6 injectors, fuel rail, inlet manifold and 4" induction pipe with a stock tune... but the only thing different is my car HAS lost power. Mainly when coming out of a left hand corner but also happens when travelling straight. Light acceleration like for a hill or exiting a corner and the car bogs down and the transmission wont down shift even at wot. It will down shift manually or if I use the power button. Im yet to try this but have a look at your wheel speed sensors and make sure the gap is set correctly..ive had mine on a tech 2 and gave me nothing. Now my cel is on all the time with the new headers cats and exhaust. Even though ive got brand new o2 sensors..

Having now thought about it my problem was happening long before I did any of those things. Also when I turn the a/c for the demister for example, the revs kick up to maybe 1500 until im at a complete dead stop for about 10sec but as soon as I touch the accelerator the car practically drives itself...the tb closes correctly and is properly centred, brand new genuine port gaskets were installed with the inlet manifold, ive checked over everything I unplugged and surrounding hoses with tb cleaner, its always run on 98, new fuel filter, just serviced the trans (penrite semi synthetic, repco filter kit) and engine is always done at or before 7500 (penrite racing 10 10w40, k&n filter, liqui moly engine flush) , new plugs, leads and air filter and ive installed a brand new all alloy 52mm thick radiator. Next is another new fuel filter, walbro gss342 fuel pump, ls2 injectors and rail and a tune. Im also gonna have a look at a cooler thermostat but unsure if that will help anything...after that itll be new diff with harrop sports diff cover and 3.46 gears and new sensors and rings...any other ideas or things worth replacing given the age of the car?

Last edited:

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
Car not changing down gears in wot sounds like it may be the throttle position sensor.

Swyped from my Note 2 phablet...

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
Buggered or not cleaned properly?
From about 2000rpm, only sometimes as well, itll build then bog all the way but still be gaining speed and the engine slowly increases rpm until I left off and try again but feather soft or I manually downshift..also on cold mornings itll start and rev to 2000rpm immediately for about 15-20secs then drop to a normal cold start idle.
Im surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet but OP have you checked your pcv? Prone to deterioration between the firewall and the back of the inlet manifold above the map sensor.
Mines brand new however.
This is what ive done since owning it:
Ls6 inlet manifold with a smoothed bottom for coolant tubes
Ls6 injectors and fuel rail
Brand new msd 8.8mm leads and ngk double platinum plugs
Alloy radiator 52mm thick
Coolant tb bypass
Genuine c4b tb with 100% open mod
3 cans worth of nulon tb cleaner were used to clean the tb, inlet manifold and ports
4" induction pipe
Ss inductions growler intake with k&n pod
New coolant temp sensor wiring and plug
1 7/8" to 3" outlet s/s 4-1 headers
3" Magnaflow 150cpsi cats
New genuine bosch o2 sensors
Twin 3" mandrel bent exhaust with 3 magnaflow hi flo mufflers
Billet prototypes catch can
New filters at every service
Penrite full synthetic oil in engine semi in auto
Never abused
Always filled with bp ultimate