Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore Rough Idle

zlori

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
Hi guys,

For the past few weeks I have been noticing that my car has been idling quite rough and has recently been very jumpy/chugging at low revs(1500ish) and when taking off, however at higher revs the car seems to be fine.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what it could be?

Cheers.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Not another one of these threads...

1. Clean MAF
2. Clean throttlebody and IAC
3. New fuel filter and run injector cleaner
4. New plugs and leads
5. Take off your battery leads for 30 minutes and pump the brake pedal a couple times, then put the leads back on (this resets the ecu) and go for a 2 hr drive.
6. Stop using E10 or 91 and use BP98 you cheap bastard.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
All of the above except number 6. Cashman is wasting money on 98!! Probably why he or she still has a VT!! Unless the fuel's full of mud it should idle fine on any fuel.

Also check your vacuum hoses are in good condition, no cracks, splits or disconnections.

Just google everything to find out where it is and how to do it.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
All of the above except number 6. Cashman is wasting money on 98!! Probably why he or she still has a VT!! Unless the fuel's full of mud it should idle fine on any fuel.

Also check your vacuum hoses are in good condition, no cracks, splits or disconnections.

Just google everything to find out where it is and how to do it.

Smoothed out my idle and keeps the engine responsive.. I stand by my original statement.

ZG89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II 2001
Help my vx has been occasionally overheating temp gauge go right up and ecu beeps but then will drop back after a few minutes?? didnt seem too hot on the few times it has done soo and still seems to be plenty of coolant in radiator over flow bottle is empty though, got really hot this evening though steam coming from drivers side of rad, pretty sure its crack but is this my only problem, also would it be the water pump as belt seems to squeak whilst idle but stops one you accelerate any ideas on what may be my actual problem(s) would be helpful as i cant affor a mechanic right now??

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Could be that your accessory belt is slipping and not turning the water pump enough.

Could be your radiator is screwed.

Could be head gasket.

Could be heater tap.

Assuming you havent cooked the heads from overheating multiple times, I'd get the whole cooling system serviced and replaced where necessary.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Put coolant in the overflow bottle! Even just use water if $5 coolant is out of budget! Keep it topped up whenever driving. You should bleed the system to get air out. Might be lucky, you might only be low on coolant, easy to overheat when low. Must be leaking out somewhere, look for leaks when engine is hot and running. And start saving $$ for a repair!!

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
3. New fuel filter and run injector cleaner

I have read that running injector cleaner can be a bad idea. While it may be good at breaking down grime (or carbon build up, deposits or whatever) those deposits can get stuck to the injector filters and cause poor performance. Taking the injectors out and cleaning them properly is a much better idea. Or just replace them altogether.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
For us it was the vacuum hose and as soon as I superglued the elbow back on instantly it ran smooth again.