Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx commodore serv error

vx commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx commodore
Hi people just wondering if someone can help I have a 2001 vx commodore and I did a engine swap and everything was going fine driving well for 3 days the I went to start the car and got serv error on the dash and the car wont start or crank over. Took it to holden to get the ecu tested for codes and they said they could not hook up there tech2 tool cause there was no communication. I have tried changing the remote but still nothing any help would be great been 3 days and the car still is going no where

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Mine gave serv error when the battery died. You might have a problem with the engine - body ground after the motor swap, or with the alternator lead, or even just battery terminals. What's the voltage across the battery?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Is your "Check Powertrain" lamp on when the ignition is on and the engine stopped? The following quotes are from the Holden VX Service Manual:

"With the Tech 2 scan tool connected to the DLC and the ignition switch on, the scan tool should display serial data communication. If the scan tool does not display serial data, the serial data circuit may be open or shorted. There are several other control modules that are connected to the serial data line (PCM, BCM, ABS/ETC module, ECC module, SRS module and IP cluster). Any one of these controllers could cause a fault on the
serial data line. This fault could result in the scan tool not being able to display serial data."

"Using a Digital Volt\Ohm meter (DVM), there should be 3 to 5 volts at the DLC terminal 9. If the voltage is higher or lower, serial communication will be effected. Isolate the fault by disconnecting one at a time each controller until the serial data communication is restored."

Holden 64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX wagon
Hi all, having a few issues with my V6 VX Wagon. About 10 days ago, the "check engine" & "traction control off" lights started coming on at random times. They were then joined by the "ABS" light, then lastly by the "oil" light (there is no issue with the oil, I have now driven 300 odd km with oil light on). At startup, the LCD is now displaying "Service Error", then sometimes the "oil" light stays on, or doesn't. If oil light stays on, temp gauge doesn't work & the A/C doesn't get cold. If oil light goes out everything works fine. If "Traction off" is displayed, the car certainly behaves as it would with it off. The cruise control is also acting weird, it still works, but sometimes only "Active" light displayed, not "Cruise". Thing is, it is so random. Sometimes no lights come on & you wouldn't think the car had a problem. Any idea's out there?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
holden64 sounds like classic abs failure
do a search on this site

Holden 64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX wagon
Thanks, much appreciated, I've had a look at the relevant articles & videos & the ABS unit does appear to be the cause of it all..
I was driving around in the Top End (NT) recently & the most annoying thing about this problem was that when the "OIL" light was indicating, it wouldn't allow the Air Cond compressor to work & also the Temp gauge didn't work. I took the harness connector off the front of the ABS unit, sprayed all of the contacts with CRC, put it back on, temporary fix!
Now, with motor running & bonnet up I've found just wriggling the connector will most times kick in the A/C compressor (you'll hear it click in). Hope this helps someone else out there with the same problem. Sure beats driving down the Stuart at 130 with all the windows down. (although, that was sort of fun for the first 10 kays)

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
holden64 sounds like classic abs failure

Yes, what he said.

The big connector that has a slider release (the ABS module connector) can be unplugged. Those dash lights will go out. The oil and temp and cooling fan will go back to normal. Fuel economy will be normal.

OK, so you don't have traction control or ABS because you have disconnected the ABS computer, but it wasn't working anyway.