Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX commy front end help needed please

customcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hey there folks
new here names harley an my partner an i have a vx exec

have just changed all the bushes in the front end and now it feels all clunky an wandering all over the place an tyres were squeling seems camber is out as when everything was changed the front struts were changed to with superlows in them

any help would be greatly appreciated as this is our only family car an need it to get us about an i just cant figure it out :(

alot may just say go to a mechanics , but i have always done all the work on my cars bar from 1 time an wasnt happy at all
anyways thats about it an i hope to hear from u folks
cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Did you get a wheel alignment done after changing all the bushes? You can't really do an alignment at home.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey mate. If you have changed castor, lca, ball joints, etc.... then you will need a wheel alignment, perfectly normal . Take it to a pro.

customcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
thanks folks an no i havent gotten wheel alignment yet but it still dont seem like just an alignment problem , as the steering wheel wanders bad an then i hold the wheel straight and it still wanders , just wandering to 1 side fair enough but its like theres no steering sometimes hmm wierd i jus never had this sorta probs when changing an puttin new bushes in
thanks folks any more input be great
:)

customcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
im to scared to drive it to the shop to get an alignment feels like its gonna fall apart :(

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Re-check all your work and make sure everything has been tighten up and check to see if there is any movement in the bushes you have replaced.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Definitely recheck the work, but if you've practically changed the whole front end including tie rods, the dynamics will be thrown up the creek. Did you put the castor washers back exactly? Rubber or urethane?

customcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
yes castor washers are back in exactly tho there new 1s an adjustable but couldnt get old of a torque wrench but hve read many places that as tight as u can get will be ok , and yes the tie rod ends and rack ends were changed to new parts , i did mark at where the tie rds were at on the rack end an done the same to the new 1s ban jus ut having put lowered springs in im guessing this is all outta wack now anyways , i have been over everything a few times now and new sway bar link pins aswell and what bushes ? well control arms are nolathane dan front castors are superpro poly , i did have poly control arms 1s to but 1 half a bush got scared an went walkabouts in my spanner throwing contest lol ...
and the link pins was cheapy but all i could afford an thought they would be ok ,, but jus have rubber bushes would rather use them as they wont break down as quick,

castor bush is done according to the instructions an ive read on here that for lowered cars the castor should be 1/ 1'4 is this right as thats what ive set it to ... could this perhaps be my problem? tho that would just wack the wheels out a bit not clink around an stuff

hmmm pollushon how far out can the dynamics be thrown as its nothin like ive ever had b4

thanks heaps for the input folks its greatly appreciated :) :)

anything else u folks can come up with will be
extra awesome

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Measuring the tie rods is mostly a useless exercise aside getting you to the wheel aligners more safely. The casts will likely be a few mm different from brand to brand. Last time I did mine, front end was awful, limped it to the shop, sorted in 30 mins. Seriously dude, you can't fix this. Book it in.

Did you not plan on visiting the wheel aligners before doing such major work?

Last edited:

customcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
i am getting it in tomoz hopefully just wanted to make sure there was nothin else u guys suggesting i may have missed , an seems we have covered it all so ill get it in there tomoz an see how we go :) but is this the right way ive gone for the castors? at 1 1'4 fittment

muchly appreciated