Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Double din dvd player

miffie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Hey guys,

Ive been doing alot of searching and i can't find any relivent information on installing a double din DVD player that can still play dvd's while moving. The car is a VX with the stock headunit ATM.

I went into JB HIFI to buy a wiring harness but the guy said not to because my headunit has too many wires and it would be alot better to do it manually. He also talked about bypassing the handbrake wire to watch DVD's while driving.... but couldnt elaberate much more due to legal/moral reasons (pussy).

Could the fantastic community of Just Commodores please provide me help regarding this matter (wiring guide for specifically the VX and idea's about bypassing the handbrake rubish)?

Thanks for reading,

Mitch

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I got a pioneer AVH-P2400DVD head unit. To get mine to work I had to wire in a relay to the handbrake wire that ran off the amp turn on lead so basically when you turn the head unit on it then triggers the relay through the amp turn on lead which then grounds the hand brake wire. It needs to have the hand brake activated after the unit turns on for the dvd player to work. I found out how to do it by using google, just type in 'pioneer (then your model) handbrake bypass hack or you can even try youtube and you'll find vids of how to do it.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
By law the dvd screen must be off whilst car is in motion hence the handbrake switch.

ive put a couple in now and all you need to do is earth the handbrake wire on the back of the stereo out - i just join it to the main EARTH on the cars stereo harness.

why wouldnt you buy the AERPRO wiring harnness,, best investment of the lot... join all the wires before u even get near the car... plug it in to the main harness as u slide stereo in easy as...

lastly if u have steering wheel controls buy the PAC SWI-PS STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROL INTERFACE SONY (eBay item 180634404523 end time 02-Apr-11 14:28:04 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats and wire this in.. theres a how to on here its only 3 wires and enjoy your steering wheel controls if your stereo allows for it.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
You can't earth the handbrake wire on most pioneer stereos directly as they need to be earthed after the stereo powers up hence why you need to put a relay in, google it.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
not disputing u without evidence... but i tried to google it with no luck.. plus after installing, a jenson, and a couple of kenwoods never come accross this issue.... any chance u can direct me in the right direction...

miffie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Nice information guys!

Ok, so lets go through this so i understand...

Starting from step one.

Use coat hanger bent into U shape remove headunit (x2)
Buy the VT/VX wiring harness and plug into the factory plug
Match the wires from my pioneer headunit plug to the VT/VX harness wires (or can i buy a VT/VX wiring harness and go harness to harness)
Earth out the DVD handbrake wire
Buy the arial adapter for euro headunits
Slid in and enjoy the beats

Am i missing anything guys?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
sounds about right

i just grounded the wire from my 2 din so its always on

the ISO plug should just work it's an adopted standard, the only thing i changed was the steering wheel controls and it justs works

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Here's a couple of links I found pretty quickly about it.
Pioneer AVH-p4200dvd Video Bypass? - DIYMA.com

And this was the video I used when wiring mine, this guy explains it pretty well.
YouTube - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD Bypass & AVH-P5200DVD Bypass

Most other brand DVD players you can just ground the earth but with newer Pioneer ones you have to apply the handbrake after the unit switches on hence the relay to delay the grounding (it's pioneers way of stopping people bypassing the handbrake switch). There is another way you can do it and that's to wire in a toggle switch between the handbrake wire and the grounding of it that way after the unit switches on you just flick the toggle switch and it makes it think you just pulled up the handbrake. Either way, try grounding it and if it doesn't work then you know you have to either wire in a toggle switch or if your lazy like me then use a relay.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Sorry double post