Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Electric Windows retrofit - Police Pack BCM

sixfootseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VZ SS & Black VE Calais
I have a VX2 Police Pack. Manual windows.
I acquired a whole set of complete doors with electric windows, same color paint, plus colour coded mirrors (vs my black ones).
I put the window master switch in my car, the plug was there for it.
I installed one door**, and plugged it in, mirrors work, but not the windows.
Read up on here, and picking that I must have a base model BCM without electric window support.
Is there an easy way to directly wire the master switch(es) to the doors?

Alternatively, considering the master switch wiring was present, should the BCM match, and im looking at a different problem?

Thanks.

(**for other readers, door swaps take about ten mins each, use a vice grip to hold the door pin, and smack it with a hammer. I agonised over this task for days, and it was actually really easy. No door pin removal tool needed, and spraying some CRC 5.56 in about ten mins beforehand seemed to help a lot).

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm pretty sure if the master switch plug was there the BCM will be ok for power windows.
I retrofitted power windows to my old VT many years ago and from what I remember the windows didn't work until the rear door switches were installed, so you might have to install everything first and see how you go then.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i believe vx was prewired for front power windows but not rears
there are several posts on here on how to retrofit
all will work except auto lower

sixfootseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
Reporting back for completeness to help others.

Sat all the new doors next to the car and plugged the door wiring in at all four points.
Checked the fuse box - there was no relay installed for the power windows, so I moved the rear window demist relay over.
There was no fuse installed for the power windows, so I put a 20A blade fuse in the holder.
Plugged my master switch in to the existing plug under the center console, and everything worked just fine.

Summary - 2002 Police Pack VX 2 Exec, manual windows, converting to electric is plug and play, just needed:
  • Electric window doors (or conversion).
  • Relay.
  • Fuse.
  • Master switch.
  • Center console surround from electric window model (the little tray on the manual window model doesn't pop out).
Install doors, install console surround, plug door looms in, plug relay in, plug fuse in, plug window master switch in, job done.
There was zero gotchyas, other than figuring out door hinge pin removal!

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
you forgot/failed to mention...how hard it is to fit the weather seal rubber grommets into the door jamb...I'm half way thru the same job; couldn't afford replacement doors but got the parts at a good price...[Electrician by trade so done plenty of feeding wires in unusual places] didn't worry about wiring looms...read a lot of posts here that talk about having to bypass the BCM [tho your post seems to say that is not an issue] so having taken on-board what others said; I decided to run my own cables, from inside door to Power Window switch. I decided to use normal figure 8 household cable, 1 side had a stripe to help identify polarity; plenty big enough CSA for current draw. Normal miniature size cable crimp plugs [from Auto store] are perfect fit inside the Power Window motor plug socket.

I removed the rubber grommet at the inside door face; it pulls off a plastic shroud that sits in the door jamb and which the wires pass thru and into the door. Used some 0.30 mm whipper snipper cord to feed from the bottom of the rubber grommet at the door jamb, upwards and out into the upper dash area [handy to remove the 3 screws holding in the right hand dashboard's side plate and remove]. More whipper snipper cord feeding cables thru desired rout, and connect into then wiring loom directly behind the Power Window switch in the console.

Replace everything...then I assume it is something like a mirror image procedure to do the Passenger's side.

Looking forward to mine being completed...and anticipate no issues from here on...

N.B. forgot to mention why I started to write this post; was very difficult to refit the rubber grommet to the plastic shroud in the door jamb, and can only imagine the top grommet would be THAT much harder, because of the limited access...

sixfootseven

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found the rubber grommets over the white plastic loom guides to be particularly easy to fit.

With white plastic bit out of the jamb, stretch grommet over the edge, push completed white plastic and black rubber assembly into place.

Literally a ten second job no issues.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The VT series one and the VX have a different setup as far as the grommet goes. The VT has the plug fitted directly to the pillar and the VX has a white plug behind the rubber grommet, VX much easier to work with.