Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX engine cover

Gorilla62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Ford Ranger
Just purchased a VX stationwagon and the engine doesn't have a cover so I'm wondering what are the advantages or disavantages.

Sorry guys my hubby tells me it's a VZ.

Last edited:

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
You mean the turtle shell? AFAIK It's all looks mate. I personally prefer mine off.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
I prefer mine on :) I painted it white and looks a heap cleaner (except when it gets dirty but cleans up nicely with a damp rag)

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Well I noticed with the cover on the engine was warmer and the fans kept coming on all the time. With the cover off the engine is cooler and the fans do not come on all the time.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just purchased a VX stationwagon and the engine doesn't have a cover so I'm wondering what are the advantages or disavantages.

afaik the only disadvantage is the bonnet will get hotter, don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure that is the only downside.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Cover on or off. It's just a piece of plastic at the end of the day with a big fat V8 under it. Hardly a space craft heat shield and the bonnet is more likely to keep the heat in than the engine covers.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Well I noticed with the cover on the engine was warmer and the fans kept coming on all the time. With the cover off the engine is cooler and the fans do not come on all the time.

That's what the boy who sold me my car said, until I found a heating and coolant system problem some months down the line. Now, finally, after locating some of the grommits and bolts to refit my engine cover I haven't had a peep of bother from my engine.