Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Engine Installed In VS Berlina - Need Engineers Cert?

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series II VS Berlina
Will vicroads require and engineers certificate for my VS Berlina that has had a VX engine installed?

Also its registered in my dads name and he is sick of getting fines and wants it transfered into my name, so I need it roadworthied and engine transfer to be completed with vicroads
The new engine was put in mid 2010 is this an issue?

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
From Vicroads http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...otifyingVicRoadsOfChangesAndModifications.htm

"Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form."

The above applies to my situation. Does these mean I can get the mechanic who put it in to sign a declaration stating its all sweet? Or does an automotive engineer have to sign off on it? And if so how much will the cert cost?

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
The motor is pretty much the same apart from a few changes.

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
Since your took an ecotec motor out and put an ecotec in you dont have anything to worry about just use it and get wofs as befor.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
^as above and as the rules state, it's of a similar size (within 100cc), required no mount fabrications, is a bolt in swap and complies to the same/better adr emission standards.

there is no problem with the change.

unfortunately there may be an appointment required (they're rogues and like to charge $40 just to walk out the door and look at something) ran into something similar re-registering a car, it had sat for 4 years unregistered due to a blown engine and trans was stuffed aswell (was last registered in my name so no change), i swapped that and got a rwc.... if i hadn't changed the engine i could've just walked in and paid all the fees and walked out with plates. Due to the engine change they had to shine a torch on it and charge me $40 extra

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
As above.

Vic roads would consider this nothing more than a 'change of engine number' as it is a direct replacement.

All that should be required is an appointment and a document proving ownership of the new engine.
(invoice from the mechanic who fitted it, stating the engine number may be enough)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Assuming that the only change was swapping the engines.

I think that you should tread carefully - as in contact VicRoads directly. A VX Ecotec is similar but not identical to a VS Ecotec and they are required to meet different emissions laws. Deleting the VX EGR and using VS Series II engine management (presumably) means that the VX no longer complies with the relevant ADR anyway. You may, however, be able to argue that it is the same as a Series III VS, mechanically at least.

Replacement engine is identical to the original engine

It is not.

or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle. The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants).

As installed, it is not.

The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

If you were converting (say) from a VS V6 to VS V8, or using a V6 engine from a VS Statesman or ute (a certified variant) in a VS Commodore, meeting the same ADR's or later, then you could, as the registered operator, sign the declaration that the engine, engine management, brakes etc. are the same as a factory option for your vehicle. You then take the responsibility for that to be so.

If you are prepared to sign the dec. that the VX engine is identical to the VS engine (again, it is not, although perhaps to a Series III V6 it is close, except for engine management) they might not check too far. To be fair, in practice it will make little difference in terms of safety or emissions; using the VX engine in a VS meets the intent of the law, just not the letter. There is the potential for an insurance company to refuse a claim or similar though. This is also true if you are driving a vehicle (like now) where the engine number doesn't match what is recorded for it.

Last edited:

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Didnt know there was a series 111 VS. Mine is a 97 series 11 built in the last months of VS production I think.

MMMMMMMMMMMM, I will ring vicroads tomo, I will have my roadworthy done tomorrow as well.

Thanks for all the informative replys. Fingers crossed this doesnt cost me an engineers cert or having to make modifications.

r2e2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L ute
The engine numbers hard to read i doubt anyone even checks them

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
@Cheap6

I agree with your post with regard to a VS and VX engines being different.
When this type of replacement is done it more often than not involves replacing the inlet and exhaust manifolds with the VS units. This then brings the way the engine is managed back to the specs of the VS.
Confirmation from VicRoads would be required, but I suspect they will acccept this as a direct replacement requiring nothing more than a change of engine number.

The engine numbers hard to read i doubt anyone even checks them

They are checked during Roadworthy inspections by the LVT (Licenced Vehicle Tester, and usually with a photo as evidence) and also by VicRoads if the vehicle is presented for re-registration or a change of engine number.
So yes, they are checked.