Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx engine light help?

rizza90

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
hey ive got a 2001 vx commodore last night i was driving and the engine light came on
and car started to struggle abit picking up speed
i done the bridge diagnoses under the steering column this morning and came up with one flash then 3 flashes which i take is 13
then it done 6 flashes followed by one which would be 61
can anyone tell me what these faults are??

i tried calling holden but the workshop is closed today and the lady on the other end had no idea what i was talking about

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Holden wouldn't help you for free anyway.
13 is RH oxygen sensor (no signal)
According to my manual there is no 61.

rizza90

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
yeah i figured that there always out for $$
ahhk thought one of them would be oxygen sensor still stuck on the other been trying to find a list on the net but cant find anything
dont really want to drive it incase of doing more damage.
hmm wonder what it could be then :bang:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You might want to re-check the codes because I'm pretty sure there is no 61.
If it is still running ok it wouldn't hurt to drive it a bit but you might consider replacing the oxygen sensors.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Three flashes followed by six flashes will be code 36, which is oxygen sensor heater circuit malfunction, Bank 1, sensor 2.
VX models actually use 4 digits to represent the codes instead of 2 digits. Eg- code 12 would be flashed up as- (ten flashes, ten flashes, one flash, two flashes). The tens represent zero.

rizza90

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
thanks.
i thought the four digits were from series 2 and up? it doesnt flash 10 times at all ill try upload a video of it

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
thanks.
i thought the four digits were from series 2 and up? it doesnt flash 10 times at all ill try upload a video of it

Yeah you might be right there, I came across the 4 digit codes on a VX I was working on once ages ago, I dunno if it was a series 1 or 2 VX , but I didnt understand why it kept flashing up ten times before flashing up any codes. I later found out that the 10 flashes represents zero, which then made sense, as code 12 was flashing up as 10, 10 1, 2.
From the look of the video, it seems to be flashing up 2 digit codes, as it doesnt flash ten times when it shows code 12, but im stuffed if I can work out what codes they are....The gregorys VT to VZ V6/V8 workshop manual says to retrieve codes on VT models which have 2 digit codes , it should flash up code 12 three times to show the start of the test, then it should flash up any logged codes, and if more than 1 code is logged, the next code will be seperated by a 3.2 second pause. Then at the end of the test it should flash up code 12 again to show the end of the test.

Edit: Just looking at another manual Ive got (max ellery) for VT to VZ V6/V8 and it says that when flashing up codes on VT and VX models, code 12 should be displayed 3 times first to show that the ECU is in diagnostic mode, then it will flash up any logged codes from lowest to highest, and if more than 1 code is logged, it will be seperated by a 2.5 second pause, each logged code will be flashed up 3 times, and once all codes have been displayed, there will be a 4.5 second pause before it starts to go through them again.

Last edited: