Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Engine Mounts

Dozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB ONE TONNA
So just got my vx back from the mechanic and apart from a host of other problems that he says it has, he says the engine mounts are worn and need replacing.

I would just want to find out if anyone knows whats involved with replacing them? Should they need replacing, its only 10 years old after all? He reckons that that sump is closer to the ground as a result, but looking underneath it doesnt look any lower than normal too me. With the quote of $500 he gave me to replace them, I just want to make sure if its something that requires the urgent attention he seemed to say it did and if that price seems right too.

Any help would be really great guys.

casper0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commdoore
So just got my vx back from the mechanic and apart from a host of other problems that he says it has, he says the engine mounts are worn and need replacing.

I would just want to find out if anyone knows whats involved with replacing them? Should they need replacing, its only 10 years old after all? He reckons that that sump is closer to the ground as a result, but looking underneath it doesnt look any lower than normal too me. With the quote of $500 he gave me to replace them, I just want to make sure if its something that requires the urgent attention he seemed to say it did and if that price seems right too.

Any help would be really great guys.

mate 500 is a bit more and for the sum it should be ok as long as it doesnt touch the k frame. a quick test will reveal if the mounts are in good condition by looking underneath and check the pin in the mount if its touching. other way is to put car in d and with foot on brake peddal give it little gas and check for excessive movment frok the engine.

GM GEN3

GM GEN3
Reaction score
Members Ride
legs ATM
Getting ripped off mate my ss one's are heavy duty they are 100 each and got them fitted for 30 bucks all they do is unbolt them jack up the motor and fit the new one's it takes like half an hour at most mate i would shop around at that price

casper0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commdoore
Getting ripped off mate my ss one's are heavy duty they are 100 each and got them fitted for 30 bucks all they do is unbolt them jack up the motor and fit the new one's it takes like half an hour at most mate i would shop around at that price

mate doing that job for a v6 is easy at mechanic shop but its a crap and day from hell job in your drive way.

Dozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB ONE TONNA
I just dont trust them to be honest. I only got the vx a week ago and it was due for a service so I took it in. I have all the records of the previous work done on the car.

One of which was a new radiator and coolant about 2 weeks ago, a week before I bought it. The same mechanic also told me today I was in need of a coolant flush. That makes me wonder.....

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67

Gen3 and V6 engine mounts are completely different. Both the mounts themselves and the procedure to change them

In my shop we charge $380 supply and fit. That's using Mackay brand non hydraulic mounts along with the trans crossmember mount at the same time. They last for 5 years or so where as genuine hydraulic units will fail repeatedly ebery 2-3 years and cost way more.

L

Leo.Bullterrier

I had mine replaced last year with a pair of genuine Holden ones and paid $490 which included the mounts. Mine started knocking on the subframe at about 170,000 klms .
We've had ours for 16 months and just love the vehicle and still can't believe the performance and the remarkable fuel consumption, 43plus on the highway with the hiclone, extractors and the megaflow exhaust system.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
shop around, I done my ones a couple years back and it was a a$$hole of a job.

if you what to check if there stuffed, have a look under the car and if the sump is lower then the cross frame there rooted.

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
jack the car up and put it on stands, block of wood under ur sump and jack it up,

look at the left mount, is it cracked? if not then dont worry

pancakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Equipe S2
mine are starting to wear also (02 VX equipe 75,000kms) and i will be doing them next service at my usual mechanics for $250, i would think for a v6 your getting really ripped off mate