Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx engine swap question

StingRedVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Utility
Hi all,
Looking at putting a new engine into my series 1 manual VU Ute (Ecotec V6 motor)
Was wondering if a series 2 vx engine would still fit?
Thankyou!

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Cant see why not, are the VU utes and VX model years the same, series 2 would be the best option.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Any VT to VY Ecotec should be fine, but try to stay model specific where you can. Use your existing loom and ECU.

StingRedVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Utility
Any VT to VY Ecotec should be fine, but try to stay model specific where you can. Use your existing loom and ECU.

Doesn't the VY motor have a different shape sump or something that prevents it from fitting in the vx frame?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Doesn't the VY motor have a different shape sump or something that prevents it from fitting in the vx frame?

I wasn't aware that they'd changed the sump shape but it seems they have. While I personally can't confirm, a quick google of K-frames seems to indicate they used the same K-frame VT-VY and that they introduced the revised sump to increase oil capacity for longer servicing intervals.

Having said that, there seems to be one other difference noted here with the IAC and T/B - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vy-v6-into-a-vt.247127/