Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx engine swap

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Hey everyone. Long time no see. Need some advice again. Lol

my brother totalled his vx earlier this week. Now we are selling it off piece by piece. I've been tasked with dropping his motor into his mates vx. Same year and all.

With the the engine removal, is it just wiring harness, hoses, ac pipes, fuel lines and mounts, then lift out? I'm planning on disconnecting the trans and just pull the motor by itself. Got a crane and all but just looking for info before I dive I. Head first.

Cheers

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Another thing, anyone know thw easiest way to access the trans bolts at the back of the engine? Trying to do this minimally

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
all the above ..rest will come back to you

a V6 or V8 motor - engine leveler comes in very handy ..I like to drop the exhaust manifolds off

the tranny /engine bolts - some one else needs to answer that

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
In the past I've found it easier to (when wrecking cars) carefully remove the engine and gearbox as one. That way you only unbolt the gearbox mount and tailshaft.

Just a tip as well, replace the rear main seal and sump gasket while the engine is out.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Easier to disconnect exhaust at engine or at y piece after the O2 sensors?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If you are leaving the trans in, you will have to take the exhaust off the exhaust manifolds. If you are taking the engine and trans out as an assembly (better option) still take the exhaust off at the manifolds as it will get in the way on the way out. I have just done this and the exhaust wants to hook up on everything. Drain all your oils and fluids before you start or you will have a mess. Radiator and thermo fan removal is a good starting point. Putting the front or all (better) of the car on stands is also a good idea.