Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Exhaust System - REDBACK 2.5" CAT BACK EXHAUST

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Looking at getting a new exhaust system and currently on P's so cant really be bothered spending any dosh on the extractors. I have a VX executive

Was it the correct to choice to pick the REDBACK 2.5" CAT BACK EXHAUST? Like i've been to a few muffler places and they say they're all the same just different brands.

The guys quoted 500 something with tip included and installation with new bands ect to hold it all in, is this a rip off or? Money is tight and I'd rather get it done properly the first time rather than keep upgrading down the track.

My intention is for noise when i put my foot down to fall just below the legal ratings , firstly so i dont get pulled over and secondly rather not look like a massive douche. I just want to enjoy my V6 is all.

I did a little ebay searching and found this:
REDBACK 2.5" CAT BACK EXHAUST VT VX VY V6 COMMODORE (eBay item 360310597299 end time 25-Mar-11 19:00:14 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

which was the hardware i required and i can just pay for a mate to install it for much cheaper. However the picture at the mufflers, the first part seemed fine but the second had a resonator on it. I think thats what you call it, well rather than the straight pipe you see in that picture.

I have limited knowledge of terminilogy and cars in general but keen to learn. Some insight would be great such as weather i should stick with what i'm offered or to seek the ebay way.

Thanks in advance

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
You can install it yourself in about a hour with some spanners and a screwdriver without even jacking it up.

For about $180 you can get a Lukey cat back from Super Cheap, reasonably quiet but still roars when you give it a boot full. Not that you would drive around flooring it everywhere. The Lukey and RedBack exhausts are pretty much the same but some people will swear by one and other people swear by the other.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../119565-lukey-2-5-catback-exhausts-175-a.html

There are other guys that got them up in Briz the next day after ordering them.

HarroVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
yeah i want something similar but i drive a vx acclaim 5 speed, i want extractors and i sure do want to sound like a douch haha
also a little crackle and rumble as i change down my gears.
any ideas?

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
thanks for the replies so far, good to hear that you can install them yourself.

can i get some clarification on what a "hot dog". "resonator" "front and back of the exhaust" are.. baiscly whats the least i need to do to gain some noise.

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
i got redback 2.5 installed on my vt with a twin tip for 320. I didnt supply anything. Keep shopping around mate you'l find a better deal

On my thread closer to the end you'l find a vid i did of it if you wanted a listen ;)

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
yea thats exactly what i want mine to sound like. keen to hear yours with higher revs though

locolatino

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vx II Spac Commodore/ 3.6L V6
hey buddy! im about to go for the whole system to be done! with pacemaker extractors and a 2.5" redback system with my standard cat.
off my research the redback system is alot more gurglier at idol. as the lukeys system is alot lounder and many say its too loud. but for everyone its different. my too loud is your perfect? if u get me..
im going for the redback system without a rear resonator. just a straight through pipe at the back. this will bring out the crackle in the downshifts. also make it a tad louder. out of everything ive heard redback sounds better and more bubblier. as the lukeys is louder. both are great exausts and are pratically the same except materials and joints and what not.
if u want to make the crackling louder when downshifting or releasing the accelerator and slowing down, then remove rear resi, or place a hotdog at the back.
goodluck! this is what im doing to mine in a week. hope i made the right decision! hope you do to! tc

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
hope all goes well when you get it :)

i think i'll just get the straight pipe like you. if i find it to loud do i just throw a hot dog on it or something?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah in that video the revs didn't get too high for most of it, but a few times it would have gotten up to around 5000 or so at a guess. after around 3500rpm it sounds insane ;)

best cheapish mod :p