Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX fog lights on exec front bar

R

RKZ234

I've had an Auto elec fit a genuine Fog Light Switch and relay to two different late model Commodores and used the original fog light loom and then cutting off the Loom plug and then connecting Hella 100w driving lights.

Even if you do all the ground work and leave it to an Auto Elec to check it over and do the actual hook up. That way you should avoid any warranty or insurance issues as the installation has been checked over by a tradesman.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
If you intend adding/adopting front fog lamps from an SS model, don't!

Use instead the HSV version, dimensionally similar and ADR/UNECE compliant. The SS units of the VX-VY series etc are recognised glaries.

Fog lights are not in terminology 'driving lights', nor are they daytime running lamps (DRL's). Driving lights are wired to only operate in conjunction with the high-beam switch and must in its circuit have its own on-off switch.

Front fogs are wired in ADR and UNECE regs to be able to operate on park (position), low and high-beam.

You might be better served to source a reputable aftermarket front fog light set.

R

RKZ234

Keepleft said:
If you intend adding/adopting front fog lamps from an SS model, don't!

Use instead the HSV version, dimensionally similar and ADR/UNECE compliant. The SS units of the VX-VY series etc are recognised glaries.

Fog lights are not in terminology 'driving lights', nor are they daytime running lamps (DRL's). Driving lights are wired to only operate in conjunction with the high-beam switch and must in its circuit have its own on-off switch.

Front fogs are wired in ADR and UNECE regs to be able to operate on park (position), low and high-beam.

You might be better served to source a reputable aftermarket front fog light set.

The SS and HSV lights are very different.

The HSV lights are a Xenon Gas filled driving light with a ballast rated at 35 watts.

The SS lights have a diffusung lens and are Fog Lights.

Driving lights are only required to be wired via high beam if they are greater than 55w, so you can get away with using the HSV ones without them going via high beam dip switch. (in Vic)

Fitting the HSV light will depend on wether you want fog lights or driving lights.

Personally, I think you are better off using the factory fog light loom, inserting the factory relay (into the fusebox under the bonnet) add the foglight switch (if needed) get the switch wired via high beam by an auto elec and then adding a decent pair of driving lights and mounting them to a Uni bar (as used by Vic & NSW Police for their front red & blue alternating lights) along with your front number plate.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Fog Lights

Thanks for the comments.

I have installed an original Holden foglight switch and inserted the relay. I ran a test lamp on the wiring loom where the fog light plug is.

All worked ok - in that the 'test light' would activate only when the light switch was turned on (either side light or dipped beam as well as main beam). plus of course the fog light switch being on. No dashboard indicator light which I thought was strange.

So all I plan to do now is source a set of either genuine or aftermarket Holden SS type fog lights to fit in the blanking pods on the S pak bumper.

I thought the white and purple leads on the plug where a positive and negative feed - seems that they are both live feeds with 1 being constant live the other live when the switch is on.

As for the switch (which cost $57 plus $7 for the relay from Holden) - careful use of a drill on the facia panel just below the light switch so as to use the switch wiring loom/plug behind the dash.

Regards

R

RKZ234

That's weird. I've used the Factory Loom for Driving Lights on 2 vehicles. (and had the factory switch wired via high beam) The orange Fog Light Icon in the instrument cluster always comes on if the driving lights are on with highbeam.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Fog Lights

Could be that I have yet to have the fog lights put on the car - once connected it may trigger a dashlight - not sure why though. Also I am not planning any additional wiring - just plugging in the switch, relay and wiringing the lights to the plug or loom.

Have a set of lights that I bought on ebay - will let you know how it all goes when I hook up the lights this weekend.

I would have thought a dash light of some sort would appear.

Can anyone who has a factory installed set of fog lights on an S pak confirm if a dash light comes on and if the fogs work on side, dip and beam lights?

Thanks

R

RKZ234

The wiring loom on a VX Sedan is the same for Exec, Acclaim, S pack, Berlina Calais and SS, they just plug different features into it along the production line dependent on spec level and any additional options ordered. Eg. Electric windows was standard on everything from an Accliam up, but was an option on the Exec.

If you use the factory loom for your Fog Lights/Driving Lights and and use the factory on/off switch, the orange icon in the instrument cluster will only appear when the lights are in operation, regardless of wether you have the switch wired via high beam in the case of D/Lights or if you have fitted fog lights and use the loom in standard format.

As I mentioend before, I've had Dr/lights wired via high beam on the factory loom and the dash icon works.

My cousin had DR/ lights on the factory loom fitted the same way as me on his S pack and the Auto Elec who checked it all over advised the wiring loom is identical for all Commodore sedans.

*Having a rough guess, maybe the instrument icon didn't come on cause you only tested the system using 1 light. It may require 2 lights connected to work*

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Lesson learnt

Just to recap - successfully installed genuine relay and fog light switch on the dash of my s pak.

Recieved a pair of aftermarket 100mm fog lights (from ebay). The lights themselves are ok. I spend over 4 hours last night trying to 'adapt'the mountings by using odd shaped brackets, newly acquired bolts etc.

4 hours crawling under the bumber bar. The lights where hooked up and worked - sort of. Both fogs came on but I must have blown a headlamp fuse as the LHS headlamp was dim on dip and the beam did not work.

I of course thought I must have blown the bulbs - so replaced both bulbs only to realise it was a fuse. (PS - replacing a VX headlamp bulb is painful - just to gain acces you need midget hands and be made of rubber - the driver side apparently needs battery disconnetion and removal just to gain access!!).

Anyway - one issue I was faced with was not being able to accurately adjust the beam direction owing to the makeshift mounting I was trying to create.

To cut a long story short - went to the holden dealer today - bought the genuine fog lights (approx $137 each!!). Fitted them in 15 mins and all works as it should.

Still no dash indicator light - but I can live with that as I only use the fogs for dark roads where no other traffic exists (they give fantastic illumuination). I am not one of those who drives with them on during the day.

So the lesson learnt - in this instance - stick with the original Holden gear - it may cost more but it looks great and not worth the hassle of going aftermarket.

Anyone want to buy a set of cheap non standard fog lights?

Regards all.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Can anyone tell me the colours or the wires on the factory loom where the switch plugs into? I have found 2 plugs just near the fuse box under the steering wheel. Is it one of these 2?