Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX fog lights on exec front bar

R

RKZ234

Chrisd79, you are in the wrong area.

Look at where the switch is located in an SS. The plug you are looking for is directly behind where the switch is located.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Switch location

Just confirming - the plug is more or less directly below the normal light switch. It is a block connector (can't remember the colours) - but the Holden switch will fit directly into the plug.

If you do not have a çut out ön the dash for the switch - recommend using a template to ensure you cut the right size and also use tape to cover the surrounding dash area.

I used a large drill bit to cut several holes then filed carefully- came out neat just needs patience and care.

If you have the cut out already - the loom plug should be directly behind it

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Finally changed my existing fog lights over to the factory loom with the genuine switch and relay. The lights work fine ie. they only come on when i have park, normal or high beam on and they turn off when i turn the ignition off.
My problem is that the indicator on the instrument cluster doesn't light up when the fog lights are on.
Any ideas???

R

RKZ234

The globe in the instrument cluster might be faulty.

In the three VX's I've done this to the orange fog light dash icon works.

It sounds like you'll have to remove the instrument cluster to check/replace the globe.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
At a guess i would use the white wire as an earth. Plug ur genuine switch in, make sure there is a fuse in the fuse box and get a test light 2 check. I'm a mechanic thats what i'd do :)

V

VTsuper6

Chrisd79 said:
Finally changed my existing fog lights over to the factory loom with the genuine switch and relay. The lights work fine ie. they only come on when i have park, normal or high beam on and they turn off when i turn the ignition off.
My problem is that the indicator on the instrument cluster doesn't light up when the fog lights are on.
Any ideas???

Mate I fitted VT SS fog lights to my VT S years ago (believe me a lot harder than doing the VX because you have to cut into the bumper) and everything worked well except for the dash indicator. When it was due for a routine service I asked the dealer to check the globe and they reported that it was never fitted. So, they fitted it for me and all was fine. You will probably find that will be the same for you. If you know how to remove your cluster just check to see if it is there. :)

R

RKZ234

I've done this to 3 VX's and the globe is certainly fitted and should work.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
if you buy some foglights you can mount em onto anything.. If you want it to look like an SS then buy a ss bumper.. or a S pack i believe can fit them too

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Fog light dash warning light

Just to close this off from my install perspective - having fitted genuine fog lights, genuine relay and genuine switch - the reason why my dash light did not come on was indeed because there was no holder or bulb in the dash panel.

So it seems maybe some models or some cars do have the bulb and holder - others may not.

Cost for bulb and holder - $9.90. Easy but fiddly job to fit as the whole dash panel needs to be popped up or unscrewed. Also electrical blocks for lights, speed alert and hazards need to be unclipped - along with radio removal.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
SSV8pilot said:
Just to close this off from my install perspective - having fitted genuine fog lights, genuine relay and genuine switch - the reason why my dash light did not come on was indeed because there was no holder or bulb in the dash panel.

So it seems maybe some models or some cars do have the bulb and holder - others may not.

Cost for bulb and holder - $9.90. Easy but fiddly job to fit as the whole dash panel needs to be popped up or unscrewed. Also electrical blocks for lights, speed alert and hazards need to be unclipped - along with radio removal.

Other than removing the dash panel and cluster is there much work involved in installing the bulb and holder???