Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Front bumper help !

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Commodore VX Acclaim
Hey fellas,
So I'm learning about the negatives of having a very low car.
Seems like it hates every curb. My front bumper got caught at the parking, and it ripped off as i reversed.
I'm new to all this, and any advice on how to reinstall the C2R front bumper would be great. I've had a search through and haven't found anything.

Thanks guys.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
LOL, I have one the exact same thing with both my front and rear bumpers. Are the mounting points on the bar ripped or are they OK. Chances are where the screws go in, in the wheel arch, is ripped and you will need a new mounting piece. They are fairly cheap from Holden.

I'm guessing the C2R bar is fibreglass? Have you ripped the fibreglass, if so than you will have to rebuild the bar. Also there could be some serious cracks under the paint. If your not sure than take it to a smash repairers and ask them to look at it.

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL, I have one the exact same thing with both my front and rear bumpers. Are the mounting points on the bar ripped or are they OK. Chances are where the screws go in, in the wheel arch, is ripped and you will need a new mounting piece. They are fairly cheap from Holden.

I'm guessing the C2R bar is fibreglass? Have you ripped the fibreglass, if so than you will have to rebuild the bar. Also there could be some serious cracks under the paint. If your not sure than take it to a smash repairers and ask them to look at it.

Yeah I ended up putting two washers on either end on the side mounts to hold it in place.
One thing I did notice however (someone correct me if it's not right) but the bumper is practically held by 5 screw? 3 under the bonnet which hold the top side, and one on either side of the car.

Heres a photo of the job I just completed, it looks sturdy, but it does have very slight room for movement.
There's a plastic 'board' infront of each tire on the side panels, which one of the screws connect to, however its only for the top half of the bumper, anyone have any ideas on how to connect the bottom side to make the bumper more stable?

zilytj.jpg

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
try going slower and cut a bigger angle?? lol

but check under ur number plate, there should be bolts behind there as well

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
try going slower and cut a bigger angle?? lol

but check under ur number plate, there should be bolts behind there as well

Haha yeah I did angle it, the problem was, when I was straightening out, I went too far forward and as the bumper mounted the curb and it came time to reverse out, it got caught. The car moved, but the bumper stayed.
-
I just had a look under the number plates. There are two grooves on the bumper itself for two screws to be inserted, however nothing on the metal frame on the other side. So I think I'll be drilling through just to make it more sturdy.
Thanks for that mate.

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
all up theres 10 screws. look around it say where if not ill post a picture up

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
all up theres 10 screws. look around it say where if not ill post a picture up

Hey mate,
I went to have a look, from what I found, I only had three screws under the bonnet holding the bumper from the top, and one on either side connecting it to the mount.
The only other screws I found where connecting the bottom part of the C2R bumper to the top of it, nothing holding the bumper on to the car aside from that tho.
Here's a picture for a better description, the red circles are outlining the five screws holding it.
In the third picture, the two bottom green circles is the bar that sits ontop of the license plate, where I'll be drilling into for added support.

333ld7o.jpg

Apologies for the size.

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
2 where the number are and on the sides there should be two, top and bottom.

if the bumper put on right it should hold in place with no screws. not saying do that but it hold

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
There are 2 holes on the bar underneath the number plate , Not behind but under the bar ,most VXs don't have the plastic screws and inserts fitted .When i fixed my bar last week after hitting a fox i put some in and now the bar is more secure . Its best to fit these first the but the rest of the bolts in after . The plastic screws are the same as the ones that hold the rear bar in place .

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are 2 holes on the bar underneath the number plate , Not behind but under the bar ,most VXs don't have the plastic screws and inserts fitted .When i fixed my bar last week after hitting a fox i put some in and now the bar is more secure . Its best to fit these first the but the rest of the bolts in after . The plastic screws are the same as the ones that hold the rear bar in place .

Yeah I installed them today, the bumper (for once) has become one peice with the car haha, it was always slightly flimsy.

Thanks for all the advice & tips guys.