Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX front left wheel metallic sound over 35kph?

Rooney69

'Sarcasm'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6
It starts at about 35kph and I can hear it all the way up until about 85kph when the road/wind noise overpowers it, although I don't know if it still does it past that..

The faster I go the faster the metallic rattle is, it's actually more of a rotational clicking sound of sorts. I had my front tires changed 2 weeks ago and the moment I drove home it was there. BUT it went away after a week.

I then changed my front rotors and pads and about 30km in it began this sound.. : /

No clue what it could be!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
loosen your wheel nuts
jack up front, do not place any part of your body under car or wheel
fully loosen wheel nuts and re-tighten in star pattern 1,3,5,2,4, getting a little tighter with each lap
lower car to ground and fully tighten again in star pattern
if this doesnt help then wheel bearing sounds like it will need replacing

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Could be a rock behind your brake pad or the metal guard bent in and touching disc take your wheel off have a look jack the wheel up grab each side and shimmy it side to side should be no movement if there is your wheel bearings need doing

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you have alloys with stick on wheel weights inside the outer lip, check to see if those are hitting the calipers...That's a common problem I have struck, especially considering you have just had the front tyres changed...

Tyre places put tthe wrong thickness stick on weights in place when they balance the wheels, causing them to hit the calipers and cause a clicking sound

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like one of your wheel hub studs, if it was there after tyre change and went away and now its back after doing the brakes, do you have a spacer ring around the hub?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Could be a rock behind your brake pad or the metal guard bent in and touching disc take your wheel off have a look jack the wheel up grab each side and shimmy it side to side should be no movement if there is your wheel bearings need doing
This happened to us on a VZ we rented in Tassie many moons ago.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
This happened to us on a VZ we rented in Tassie many moons ago.
Wich one happened to you foo the pee gravel behind the brake pad produces more of a rattle then a scrape that bent disc guard does

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe just maybe its your top strut mount bearing settling down after you jacked the car or a stuffed strut, or the abs in the hub. let us all know how you got on as it helps the next person out.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Might be one of the wheel hubs, we had both replaced at 160,000 because of this kind of noise.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
thinking more about this, have the brake pad shims shifted? Check the rotor for signs of scraping to see if this is the issue.

If the wheel bearing is stuffed, it will make a whirring sound, so just confirm it is clicking not whirring so you can reduce the possibilities