Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Front suspension knocking/ Clunking after lowering and New Sway Bar Links.

Gabster118

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina SII V6 3.8L
Hey all,
Recently I lowered the front of my car by about 45mm (rear 60mm) and also replaced the standard sway bar links with aftermarket 'S' shaped ones.
After doing so I have realised a very loud and definite knock/ clunk every time I go over bumps. It almost sounds as if the suspension hangs loose, and then when it hits a bump, compresses, hits something and makes a loud 'clunk' (This is most likely not the issue, haha, just an analogy).

What may be the cause of this?

Is it due to the lowered springs, ie. the suspension is compressing fully and hitting the bump stops? So I need new lowered front shocks?

Or may it be due to the new sway bar links. Do they need to be tightened completely? I left some movement in mine so perhaps they are causing this clunk?

Either way there is no issues with the rear of the car, its the front that simply makes this loud noise even over the smallest of bumps.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Tighten up your swaybar links. They should be tightened until the bush starts to bulge out.

woody11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
Don't over tighten your sway bar links, they should only be tightend 2/3 of a turn after the nut makes contact with the washer/bush, if their too tight the rubber bush will fail pre-maturely.. I doubt thats whats causing your clunking though..

As for your springs, make sure they are seated properly in the strut, there is a right way and a wrong way to install them, if their not in the proper spot they will pop and grind when hitting bumps and turning..Heres a link to a guy that did it the wrong way on his WRX and shows what it does.. How to change struts, springs, and align properly Part 1 - YouTube

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd check if you should have used different length sway bar links after lowering it. Also when you fitted them did you have the car sitting on it's wheels or jacked up? I am pretty sure that they need to be tightened up with the wieght of the car on the wheels and suspension.

Gabster118

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina SII V6 3.8L
Im quite sure the springs are seated properly in the strut. I made sure of that. But I'll give that video a watch and see.

The sway bar links are identical, however the car was jacked up when I tightened them. I'll take off the wheels tomorrow and take a look around.
If not I'll get a mechanic mate of mine to take a look at it. Cheers.

LordEthan2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Im quite sure the springs are seated properly in the strut. I made sure of that. But I'll give that video a watch and see.

The sway bar links are identical, however the car was jacked up when I tightened them. I'll take off the wheels tomorrow and take a look around.
If not I'll get a mechanic mate of mine to take a look at it. Cheers.

Howd you go with this? Just wondering! :D!

Gabster118

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina SII V6 3.8L
All fixed mate! Turns out I hadn't tightened up the sway bar links anywhere near enough! Apparently your'e supposed to use an allan key to hold it still while you tighten the nut around it or somethin' like that, haha. Anyways on the driver side the nut completely came off and the passenger side was super loose. So they just rattled around making the knocking sound over bumps. Tightened up now and works super smooth :D