Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx fuel gauge always empty

Vxripper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II Acclaim
Got an issue with my fuel gauge in a 2002 VX II Acclaim Sedan, the needle always shows empty and the DTE varies between 40-50kms.

Any advice on how to diagnose it the fault is in the sender or cluster? Is there anywhere to check the resistance of the sender without dropping the tank or ripping apart the dash? Any advice appreciated

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well the sender is working so could be your cluster either stuck needle or dirty contact.

Vxripper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II Acclaim
Thanks Trevor

What makesy think the sender is fine?, I thaught the sender would be the likely culprit either if it was stuck of the float failed as its always showing low

I believe the resistance is higher if the tank is full so if it was a dirty contact it should be always reading full not empty

Any idea where it plugs into the cluster? Can it be accessed easily

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just replace the sender, I miss read where you said its always showing 40-50, if that the case the sender is most probably the culprit.
Type in fuel gauge in the square box its all being covered before, it will show how to test it. If u remove the earth it will go full. If that works then its the sender.

Vxripper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II Acclaim
Just replace the sender, I miss read where you said its always showing 40-50, if that the case the sender is most probably the culprit.
Type in fuel gauge in the square box its all being covered before, it will show how to test it. If u remove the earth it will go full. If that works then its the sender.

Cheers

Couldn't find that spesific post but checked the trip computer mentioned on others, its its giving a fuel level of 3-4 litres regardless of whats in the tank and the needle moves up on the test mode so think its pretty safe to say the sender is the issue