Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Fuel Guage Calibration

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Hi all,

It seems this is a common issue with VT and VX so I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on it... :)

I replaced the original fuel pump in my car three weeks ago. It was operating fine to supply fuel however the 'fuel remaining' on the dash was erratic when approaching empty. Before starting the job yesterday, the dash showed 0 kms remaining. When I removed the tank, there was 25L of fuel remaining inside!

After I completed the job and put the same 25L back in the tank, the dash showed 15 kms remaining. I completely filled the tank this morning and the dash then read 790 kms to empty. I drove the car for 12 kms after which the dash read as 660 kms remaining.

I read in one of the posts above that after replacement of the pump and the battery is reconnected, the fuel gauge will reset and 'calibrate'/stabilise itself. Is this true or do I have an issue elsewhere in the system.

One thing I noticed with the replacement was that the new pump I purchased from Holden (Part No. GM-92158011 - DELPHI) was slightly different to my original. The new pump was slightly shorter and had two flexing pipes running from top to bottom. The rheostat for the fuel gauge was also slightly shorter in its travel. The original fuel pump had three rubber feet on the bottom and a 'filter' sock on one side.

Holden assured me that this is the correct pump for my VIN as they changes the design of the pumps midway through VX.

The pump is operating fine however the fuel guage is incorrect. When the tank is filled, the guage is showing just below full, but when the low fuel warning light appears, the trip computer says I've used only 35 to 40 litres?

Is there any way of calibrating the fuel gauge myself? Can this be done with any of the aftermarket OBD tools available or can this be done by Holden with the Tech 2?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replacement Pump
New Pump.jpg

Original Pump
Original Pump.jpg

limitedslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt2 ss
Does the attachment work?
Under 2.3 fuel sender assy, there is check for float position
Might help

Attachments

• sect8a.pdf
    372.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

genpaton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II wagon
I have the same issue. Replaced mine with Repco fuel pump, again right one for my VX VIN. Still have the issue of gauge being 20+litres out in comparison to fuel used. Any help would be appreciated.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi all,

It seems this is a common issue with VT and VX so I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on it... :)

I replaced the original fuel pump in my car three weeks ago. It was operating fine to supply fuel however the 'fuel remaining' on the dash was erratic when approaching empty. Before starting the job yesterday, the dash showed 0 kms remaining. When I removed the tank, there was 25L of fuel remaining inside!

After I completed the job and put the same 25L back in the tank, the dash showed 15 kms remaining. I completely filled the tank this morning and the dash then read 790 kms to empty. I drove the car for 12 kms after which the dash read as 660 kms remaining.

I read in one of the posts above that after replacement of the pump and the battery is reconnected, the fuel gauge will reset and 'calibrate'/stabilise itself. Is this true or do I have an issue elsewhere in the system.

One thing I noticed with the replacement was that the new pump I purchased from Holden (Part No. GM-92158011 - DELPHI) was slightly different to my original. The new pump was slightly shorter and had two flexing pipes running from top to bottom. The rheostat for the fuel gauge was also slightly shorter in its travel. The original fuel pump had three rubber feet on the bottom and a 'filter' sock on one side.

Holden assured me that this is the correct pump for my VIN as they changes the design of the pumps midway through VX.

The pump is operating fine however the fuel guage is incorrect. When the tank is filled, the guage is showing just below full, but when the low fuel warning light appears, the trip computer says I've used only 35 to 40 litres?

Is there any way of calibrating the fuel gauge myself? Can this be done with any of the aftermarket OBD tools available or can this be done by Holden with the Tech 2?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replacement PumpView attachment 202487
Original Pump
View attachment 202488
To my understanding and in my experience if l do not fill the tank completely the distance to empty is going to calibrate in a erratic manner. It also effects the dash gauge resulting in a inaccurate reading within reason. If l refill to full each refill at every refule the gauge calibrates satisfactory and distance to empty is more accurate. Some of the calibration could be reliant on your fuel burn calibration also for e.g. ltr per hr and ltr per 100km so if you traffic drive then some open road it will give some guesstimate until your driving isn't erratic. Heavy peddle around the streets and topping up $10-20 hear and there will cause erratic gauge and fule trim.